Tops To Acquire 21 Supermarkets From GU Markets
Tops Friendly Markets, a leading full-service grocery retailer in western New York, central New York and northwestern Pennsylvania, has announced that the company has entered into an agreement with GU Markets LLC, an affiliate of C&S Wholesale Grocers Inc., to acquire 21 supermarkets located in upstate New York and Vermont.
This acquisition will bring the number of Tops stores to 153 and will expand Tops’ footprint further into areas of northern and eastern New York State and neighboring northern Vermont. The planned acquisition of the 21 stores follows the 2010 acquisition of the Penn Traffic stores.
“We are very excited about this growth opportunity for Tops, especially since these stores are a natural extension of our current footprint,” said Frank Curci, Tops Markets’ president and CEO. “We are looking forward to having these stores and the surrounding communities become part of the Tops family.”
“We believe this transition makes excellent strategic sense for both organizations,” added Michael Newbold, EVP and CAO for C&S Wholesale Grocers. “It allows Tops to strengthen its retail network, while C&S will continue to focus on its core business of providing innovative supply and logistics solutions to its wholesale customers. C&S very much appreciates its deep partnership with Tops and looks forward to the second decade of our relationship.”
The 21 stores are in the following locations:
• 24 Main St., Ausable Forks, N.Y.
• Route 9N & Sagamore Road, Bolton Landing, N.Y.
• 6308 U.S. 9, Chestertown, N.Y.
• 100 Main St., Corinth, N.Y.
• 335 Court St., Elizabethtown, N.Y.
• Route 32 and Route 81, Greenville, N.Y.
• 16 W. Main St., Hancock, N.Y.
• 252 Route 22, Hoosick Falls, N.Y.
• 273 Main St., North Creek, N.Y.
• 201 Main St., Northville, N.Y.
• 50 South Main St., Peru, N.Y.
• 622 Lake Flower Ave., Saranac Lake, N.Y.
• 54 Church St., Saranac Lake, N.Y.
• 1103 Route 9, Schroon Lake, N.Y.
• 127 Main St., Stamford, N.Y.
• Main Street Route 23A, Tannersville, N.Y.
• 7410 Route 9W-RD#1, W. Coxsackie, N.Y.
• 3836 Main St., Warrensburg, N.Y.
• 82 Route 15, Hardwick, Vt.
• 101 N. Main St., Northfield, Vt.
• Norton & 12 No. Main St., Rutland, Vt.
For the foreseeable future, current plans call for 20 stores to be operated under their current Grand Union banner, and one store to be operated under its current Bryant’s banner. There are approximately 600 associates employed at these locations, and Tops will offer all associates continued employment with Tops and operate all 21 stores without any interruption in service upon closing.
“Upon closing, we plan, as we have demonstrated with many of our acquired stores, to invest in those stores and the surrounding communities in an effort to best serve our associates and customers,” said Kevin Darrington, Tops’ COO. “We look forward to meeting the needs of our new neighbors and customers, providing them with a positive shopping experience that focuses on variety, freshness, convenience and exceptional value.”
The sale is expected to close by fall. The purchase is subject to customary closing conditions. Specific terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Tops Markets is headquartered in Williamsville, N.Y., and operates 132 full-service supermarkets—127 company-owned and five franchise locations. With more than 14,000 associates, Tops is a leading full-service grocery retailer in upstate New York and northern Pennsylvania. Upon completion of the C&S Wholesale acquisition, Tops Markets will be operating 153 full-service supermarkets—148 company-owned and five franchise locations, with more than 14,500 associates.