Cash Wise Celebrates Grand Opening In Watford City, N.D.
New grocery store is five times larger than previous location
The 47,000-s.f. grocery and 5,000-s.f. liquor stores replace Mike’s Super Valu, which Coborn’s acquired from Watford City locals Mike and Sue Tschetter in December 2012. The Tschetters operated the store for 29 years. Their sons, David and Keith Tschetter, will lead Cash Wise Foods and Cash Wise Liquor as store manager and liquor store manager, respectively. Together they represent more than 21 years of grocery retail experience and a deep commitment to the Watford City community, Coborn’s says.
“We’re excited to finally open our Cash Wise Foods and Liquor stores in the growing community of Watford City, which has been welcoming and supportive since Day One, starting with the Tschetter family and extending to our employees and the community at large,” said Coborn’s President and CEO Chris Coborn. “As an employee-owned company, we are committed to meeting customers’ needs here in Watford City by delivering everyday low prices, variety and great value in the weekly ad—and always putting the customer first. With David and Keith Tschetter at the helm, we will deliver on this promise. We look forward to serving the community for many years to come.”
Cash Wise Foods is nearly five times the size of the former Mike’s Super Valu store and it has many expanded offerings, including:
• More than 600 varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables, including 70-80 varieties of organic fruits and vegetables.
• Full-service meat and seafood case with a Premium Certified Hereford Ground Beef program offering beef chuck and round meat, Farmland All Natural No Solutions Added Pork, Gold’n Plump Fresh Grade A Poultry and a Simply Natural selection of beef, pork and poultry, free from hormones and additives. The full-service meat case also features ready-to-serve items, including premium marinated beef, pork and poultry, kabobs, beef patties, sliders and brats. Also available is a full selection of Cash Wise Signature Smokehouse Meats, including old fashioned smoked hams, bacon, sausages, brats and more.
• Full-service deli complete with Cash Wise Signature whole roasted rotisserie chicken, hot soups, golden-fried chicken, Cash Wise Fresh Pizza and more. Also available is a wide variety of pre-sliced meats and cheeses, and fresh garden and pasta salads.
• Bakery featuring oven-fresh breads and rolls, artisan breads, Ciabatta rolls and Parisian French bread. Also available are freshly baked muffins, cookies, bars, old-fashioned pies and cakes decorated by hand or with photo imaging. The bakery also specializes in Cash Wise Signature Dollar Buns and M&M Cookies.
• Self-Service floral featuring fresh-cut flowers and blooming and foliage plants.
• Expanded checkout area with six twin-checkout lanes and six self-checkout lanes.
• Cash Wise Liquor with a large selection of liquor, wine and beer. It is open seven days a week.
• Cash Wise customers also will find more ways to save throughout the entire store, including Truckload Buys, Low Price Lockdowns, Free Items (for every $30 purchase, Cash Wise customers earn a free item, no questions asked), ad specials, Price Drops, bulk foods, manager specials and more than 3,000 store brands items, including Food Club, Full Circle, Paws Premium, Top Care and Valu Time brands, which are backed by a 200 percent satisfaction guarantee.
The new store was designed with eco-friendly installments. All refrigerated cases and freezers are lit with LED lamps, which burn brightly while consuming less energy and last longer than traditional fluorescent lamps. LED lighting also is used throughout the produce and bakery departments.
During the July 17 Cash Wise Grand Opening Celebration, shoppers could win grills, party tents and Cash Wise gift cards. Cash Wise also had a jobs booth and on-site interviews for interested applicants to apply for the remaining full-time and part-time open positions that the store is still filling. In total, the store will employ approximately 112 workers.
With Cash Wise in Watford City now open, Coborn’s continues its western North Dakota expansion plan with four more stores planned to open over the next several months and into 2014. Stores under construction in Minot, Stanley and Tioga are planned to open through 2013 and into early 2014. A store in Dickinson is planned to open in 2014. The Cash Wise stores in Stanley and Tioga will replace the company’s existing locations.
St. Cloud, Minn.-based Coborn’s has 47 stores across Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin under the Coborn’s, Cash Wise Foods, Save-A-Lot banners. Coborn’s Inc. owns CobornsDelivers, an online grocery ordering and home delivery service; and standalone convenience, liquor, video and pharmacy locations. To support its many retail locations, Coborn’s Inc. operates its own central bakery, dry cleaning facility and grocery distribution center. Coborn’s has 6,900 employees.
In 2010, Coborn’s, Inc. was recognized as Family Business of the Year for Community Service and Philanthropy by Minnesota Business magazine.