California is the nation’s number one ice cream producer, churning out more than 131 million gallons this past year alone. To celebrate July Ice Cream Month, the California Milk Advisory Board (CMAB), representing California’s more than 1,500 dairy families, has partnered with Chef Kristina Vanni to share new ways to enjoy one of America’s favorite treats.
“There are so many ways you can enjoy ice cream beyond the cup or the cone and thankfully we have a whole month to enjoy California ice cream—any way you like it,” said Kristina Vanni, host of BetterRecipes.com. “One of my favorites right now is making California Ice Cream Cake Pops, the perfect blend of one of the most beloved dessert combinations—cake and ice cream. Best of all, they’re bite-size, customizable and a favorite among adults and kids alike.”
CMAB also is offering a chance for consumers to win a California ice cream party kit. To win, Twitter followers of @RealCalifMilk can post Instagram videos with hastag #CAicecream of themselves, family or friends screaming “ice cream.”
According to the CMAB, about 90 percent of Americans regularly enjoy ice cream, eating about 48 pints per person each year.
Vanni offered the following tips for enjoying California ice cream:
• To prevent brain freeze, she recommends adding some whipped cream to help the headache subside.
• Create a s’mores flavored ice cream pop by layering graham crackers, vanilla ice cream, marshmallows and chocolate in a paper cup and adding a popsicle stick.
• Roll ice cream balls in chocolate or other toppings, like caramel, nuts and more. Present frozen balls as truffles and enjoy quickly.
• Make California ice cream cupcakes by removing the core from cupcakes, filling them with ice cream. Follow with frosting and freeze thoroughly.
• Create global flavor by taking frozen mini phyllo cups and adding pistachio ice cream topped with honey and nuts.
Vanni’s Ice Cream Cake Pops
California Vanilla Ice Cream
white cake crumbles (or crumbs from any flavor cake)
multi-colored nonpareil sprinkles
Place 2-inch scoops of vanilla ice cream on a sheet tray and refreeze. Once ice cream is completely refrozen, roll in white cake crumbles and nonpareil sprinkles. Insert cake pop stick and refreeze until ready to serve.