At 7 a.m. March 30, the Stop & Shop Supermarket Co. LLC re-opened its doors to its newly built Hyde Park store at 1025 Truman Pkwy. in Hyde Park, Mass., and kicked off a month of grand opening festivities and savings opportunities for the community.
The supermarket underwent a complete rebuild to double the store’s size, make it more energy efficient and expand its produce, seafood and prepared foods departments, all in efforts to better serve the urban community.
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino was on hand to celebrate the opening and unveiled “Truman Parkway Plaza” as the new moniker for the shopping center that also underwent a complete redesign during the Stop & Shop renovation.
“Stop & Shop has gone above and beyond to beautify this plaza and make it a more enjoyable place for residents to shop and work,” said Menino. “I am honored to be part of today’s community celebration and to recognize the time, energy and money invested in the plaza and surrounding infrastructure.”
Stop & Shop, which owns the plaza, invited the community to weigh in on the preferred naming of the plaza through an online vote in late February/early March. An overwhelming 64 percent of voters selected “Truman Parkway Plaza” for the name of their go-to shopping center, which includes a Walgreens, Super Liquors and Blue Hills Bank in addition to the Stop & Shop.
“We are proud to be back in Hyde Park to better serve the community,” said Mark McGowan, president of Stop & Shop New England division. “We are extremely pleased with the brand new store and plaza and are excited about the community’s overwhelming enthusiasm around the opening.”
The Hyde Park store offers a variety of products throughout each department:
• A larger produce department provides a wider selection of cut fruit, fruit and vegetable party platters, and new pre-cut vegetables packages;
• The prepared foods section and full-service deli department features fried and rotisserie chicken, hot soup, sandwiches and more;
• The store also boasts thousands of Stop & Shop’s Own Brands products for additional quality, variety and every day value; and
• A new full-service seafood department offers a full range of the freshest fish.
In addition, customers will be able to take advantage of Stop & Shop’s ongoing savings and rewards programs.
The new store, which will pursue LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification in the coming months, is anticipated to use up to 20 percent less energy than a typical grocery store of this size. It was built with an extensive range of energy efficient features, according to the company.
The store is offering festivities and special savings to the community through the end of April to celebrate its re-opening, including:
• Stop & Shop Brands Patrol—Stop & Shop is giving away up to $4,000 ($500 per day) worth of gift cards through its Stop & Shop Brands Patrol. The Stop & Shop Brands Patrol will be on the lookout for customers as they finish checking out. For every randomly selected customer who purchases one or more Own Brands items, the Brands Patrol will award the customer a $10 Stop & Shop gift card. Stop & Shop’s Own Brands include: Stop & Shop Brand and Nature’s Promise®; Simply Enjoy; Guaranteed Value®; CareOne®; Companion; Cottontails. The Brands Patrol will be in the store the following Saturdays and Sundays from noon-4 p.m.: April 14, 15, 21, 22, 28 and 29.
• Grand Opening Sweepstakes—Stop & Shop is holding a sweepstakes for a chance to win free groceries for a year. Customers are automatically entered to win when shopping with their card at the Hyde Park store exclusively through April 26. Prizes include: a year of free groceries ($5,200 in Stop & Shop gift cards); $2,500 in free gas ($2,500 Stop & Shop gift cards); and $1,000 in Stop & Shop gift cards.
• Green “Monstah”—Wally the Green Monster, the official mascot for the Boston Red Sox Major League Baseball team, will be making an appearance at the new Hyde Park store on the following Sundays from noon-1 p.m.: April 7, 15 and 22.
The new Hyde Park Stop & Shop is open from 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday.
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Co. employs approximately 62,000 associates and operates more than 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey.