Southwest Store News

Save-A-Lot To Open Second Colorado Springs Store In Former Safeway Spot This Fall

save a lot

Hard-discount grocer Save-A-Lot will open a second Colorado Springs store in a former Safeway that’s been closed for nearly four years.

The Gazette reports that Save-A-Lot will open this fall in the Carefree Center, 3335 N. Academy Boulevard, southeast of Academy and North Carefree Circle. The store will occupy a little more than one-third of a 48,000-s.f. Safeway building that’s been empty at the shopping centerexcept for seasonal uses—since it closed in June 2012.

Save-A-Lot’s first Springs store opened in February 2004 in an old Walgreens at 405 S. Circle Drive on the city’s south side.

The Supervalu-owned chain typically chooses sites that attract customers from a two- to three-mile radius and that shoppers can reach without crossing highways and other barriers, the newspaper says, citing a Save-A-Lot spokesperson.

Save-A-Lot, which typically employs 20 to 25 people per store, offers price discounts of 40 percent, in part because of its smaller stores. It sells 70 percent of items from its private labels, with the other 30 percent coming from national brands. Stores typically are 15,000-16,000 s.f., although the one in the former Safeway location will be 17,785 s.f. The former Safeway store is being split into three spaces, and two more retailers are being sought to join Save-A-Lot at the site.

A Denver distribution center that Save-A-Lot opened two years ago made its Springs expansion possible, the spokesperson told the paper; before that, the grocer trucked items to the state from Texas.

Save-A-Lot has more than 1,300 stores nationally, including 12 in the Denver area, Greeley and Longmont; it will continue to look for opportunities in the Springs and elsewhere, the paper reports.

About the author

Avatar

Kristen Cloud

A former newspaper editor and publisher, she once enjoyed leisurely perusing the grocery store aisles but, since having a baby in 2016, she is now an enthusiastic click-and-collect shopper.

Featured Photos

Featured Video