The Minnesota Grocers Association Foundation (MGAF) awarded $25,000 in scholarships to employees or children of employees from Minnesota Grocers Association (MGA) member companies for the 2016-17 school year. Along with 11 MGA member companies that participated in the Piggyback Scholarship Program and awarded $49,500 in scholarships, MGAF and MGA gave out a total of $74,500 in scholarships for 2016-17.
Using funds raised from an annual golf event and silent auction, the MGAF awards scholarships and community grants. This year, the foundation received 378 applications from 70 companies. Twenty-five $1,000 scholarships were awarded, with scholarships awarded by an impartial committee of educators. Awards were based on community involvement and academic achievements.
2016 MGAF Scholarship winners are:
Alyssa Aamodt, Miner’s Inc., Hermantown
Nick Aarsvold, Bennett’s Food Center, Plainview
Nickolas Anderson, Faribault Foods, Faribault
Daniel Boe, Cub Foods, Cottage Grove
Kelly Buhl, Dean Foods, Woodbury
William Croteau, Festival Foods, Brooklyn Park
Kayden Daggett, GNP Co., St. Cloud
Elizabeth DeRosier, Cub Foods, Eagan
Jenson Draper, H. Brooks and Co., New Brighton
Kendra DuChaine, Casey’s General Store, Cokato
Kathryn Friesz, Cub Foods, Bloomington
Jacklyn Hensel, Coborn’s, St. Joseph
Michael Himlie, Harmony Foods, Harmony
Angela Hinsch, Hub Food Center, Zumbrota
Kyle Hinseth, Crystal Farms, Minnetonka
Nicholas Larson, Central Market, Detroit Lakes
Michaela Marcum, Coborn’s, Sartell
Adam Martin, Jim’s Market, Slayton
Marshal Quast, Tersteeg’s Holiday Market, Redwood Falls
Rosie Schacht, Kemps, Rochester
Emily Schimbeno, Econofoods, Red Wing
Nathan Steckman, Supervalu, Hopkins
Rachel Stinson, Lunds & Byerlys, Golden Valley
Susan Thompson, Glen’s Food Center, Luverne
Alexander Wennerberg, Kowalski’s Eagan Market, Eagan.
Eleven MGA companies “piggybacked” on the MGAF application process in order to provide a scholarship program specifically for their employees and employees’ dependents. 2016 Piggyback Scholarship winners include:
• From Chris’ Food Center: Samantha Koland and Casey Sura.
• From Cub Foods: Kacie Lein, Mariah Madsen, Abigail Meyer, Carolyn Meyer and Martin Peyton.
• From Dean Foods: Brooklyn Anderson, Madison Bakken, Lindsay Buhl, Alicia Christians and Angela Holtquist.
• From Glen’s Food Center: Brianna Jonason and Dylan Westerbur.
• From Jerry’s Enterprises: Katie Barber, Winona Berg, Thomas Brandt, Matthew Bugajski, Lauren Fox, Kathryn Friesz, Connor Glade, Amanda Halek, Marisa Hall, Aaron Harkner, Kevin Hines, Jonathon Krueger, Hailey Meleen, Cassandra O’Donovan, Thomas Rivard, Justus Rivard, Anna Rummel, Maria Rummel, Joseph Scott, Jonathan Sullivan, Danielle Towner, Gabrielle Travers, David Truong, Jennifer Truong and Kristen Woida.
• From Kemps: Brianna Flug, Alyssa Johnson, Erik King and Emma Pelkie.
• From Mackenthun’s Fine Foods: Zachary Thole and Jenna Zellmann.
• From Miner’s: Matthew Borash, Jennifer Fournier, William Fournier, Madalyn McComber and Whitney Wender.
• From S&R Quisberg Inc.: Kendra Hacker and Zoe Loucks.
• From Supervalu West Region Office: Lauren Freichels, Sara Heile, Kalli Opsal, Taylor Schaubert and Kourtney Selensky.
• From Teal’s Management: Elizabeth Heitman and Leah Spaeth.
MGA has represented the food industry since 1897. It has more than 200 retail members with nearly 1,100 stores in Minnesota, as well as approximately 100 manufacturers and distributors. Its member companies employ more than 125,000 union and non-union Minnesotans.