The ice cream, available in 48-oz. containers, is available in eight flavors:
- Butter Pecan: butter flavored ice cream with bits of butter-roasted pecans;
- Chocolate Chip: vanilla ice cream with a dark chocolate chip blend;
- Chocolate Malted Krunch: California milk, mini malt balls and dark chocolate specks and flakes;
- Cookies ‘n Cream: chocolate cookie chunks mixed with vanilla ice cream;
- Mint Chocolate Chip: mint flavor and dark chocolate specks and flakes;
- Pistachio Nut: featuring California pistachios;
- Rocky Road: chocolate, marshmallows and California almonds; and
“Thrifty Ice Cream is an iconic brand that has been enjoyed for nearly 80 years,” said William Renz, SVP of category management for Rite Aid, which is based in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. “Offering Thrifty Ice Cream in select stores in the Northeast is something we’re doing for our customers to ensure that more generations of ice cream lovers experience this one-of-a-kind ice cream brand.”
All Thrifty Ice Cream is made with real California milk, and many of the ice cream recipes have remained the same for 50 years. The Thrifty Ice Cream tradition began in 1940, when the first production plant opened in Hollywood, California. In 1976, the plant relocated to El Monte, California, where it remains. Thrifty Ice Cream is currently available in 23 flavors in California.
Rite Aid Corp. is a drugstore chains with fiscal 2019 annual revenues of $21.6 billion.