Last updated on August 25th, 2022 at 02:00 pm
Jabil Packaging Solutions (JPS), a division of Jabil Inc., has introduced sustainable packaging services that enable packaged goods brands to design and deliver innovative sustainable packaging formats into the marketplace.
Companies producing consumer packaged goods (CPG) are at a turning point and must find smart ways to make products and packaging sustainable or face increasing regulations, taxes and pushback from consumers, according to Jabil. Companies are trying to respond to sustainability mandates and want to do the right thing for the environment. Yet assessing what is needed, sourcing the right materials and designing products that meet corporate sustainability goals is extremely complex due to the interdependencies and expertise required for end-to-end sustainable development.
“For CPGs, there has never been a bigger challenge than the transition to a truly sustainable business model,” said Jason Paladino, JPS VP of technology. “Managing this shift and truly achieving sustainability goals requires a new level of partnership and collaboration across the supply chain. As a custom packaging solutions provider with a rich history of transformational brand equity packaging, we are uniquely positioned to work intimately with brands to solve these challenges at speed, while reducing complexity and mitigating risks.”
JPS, headquartered in St. Petersburg, Florida, has expanded its custom packaging services designed to support each company’s unique sustainability goals. This new solution is comprised of three services that accelerate the new product development process while reducing the risk associated with developing new sustainable packaging formats, including:
- Design for Sustainability: Drive faster time-to-market and eco-friendly validation with a proven design innovation process;
- Sustainable Packaging Assessment: Assess key sustainability factors, such as carbon footprint and recyclability, in parallel with critical new product introduction requirements; and
- Materials Sourcing and Development: Introduce holistic procurement strategies that consider price, supply chain optimization and performance.
The new suite of Sustainable Packaging Services will enable customers in the food and beverage, home care, personal care and professional care sectors to work with a single packaging innovation leader with expertise in all areas of sustainable packaging development:
- Reduced complexity: eliminating the need to coordinate multiple suppliers, design houses and converters;
- Faster time-to-market – driving rapid cycles of design iteration and carbon impact assessment from ideation to delivery – all under one roof; and
- Reduced risk: assuring that new custom packaging formats leverage industry accepted sustainable design guidelines; utilizing packaging life cycle analysis software to support achievement of corporate sustainability goals; and, leveraging the intelligence gained from performance testing of all commercially available sustainable materials.
Many of the world’s leading brands have publicly stated that they aim to make packaging 100 percent reusable or recyclable by 2025, though limitations in material science may pose the biggest barrier in achieving that milestone.
According to Jabil’s Sustainable Packaging Trends survey, 44 percent of packaging decision-makers say the biggest obstacle CPGs have in being able to meet their goals are the lack of technical solutions.
JPS is a manufacturing solutions provider that delivers comprehensive design, manufacturing, supply chain and product management services. Leveraging the power of more than 200,000 people across 100 facilities in 29 countries, the company simplifies complexity and delivers value for a broad range of industries, enabling innovation, growth and customer success.