The nonprofit Partnership for Food Safety Education (PFSE) works to raise awareness on how foodborne illness can be prevented. A record number of partners have joined in those efforts to increase public awareness of safe food handling.
“I think we’re seeing great enthusiasm around the idea of the chain of prevention as a shared responsibility with consumers,” says Kathy Means, CAE, PFSE board chair and VP of demand creation and consumer affairs for the Produce Marketing Association. “Supporting consumer education through a charitable donation to PFSE is an important way for a company, commodity or professional association to highlight its core values around health and food safety.”
Contributing partners provide year-round funding that allows PFSE to serve consumers through fightbac.org and downloadable, science-based tools. Funding also supports a network of health and food safety educators with free events and other support for their community-based work in food safety education.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year, an estimated 48 million Americans are affected by foodborne illness. The CDC also says certain people are at increased risk of hospitalization and for potentially life-threatening conditions, and children under the age of fifteen are the most likely to get sick from food poisoning.
The following organizations have joined forces to elevate basic safe food handling and hand hygiene practices in the U.S. (in alphabetical order):
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Frozen Food Institute
- Association of Food and Drug Officials (founding partner)
- Cargill Inc.
- Center for Food Integrity
- Chipotle Mexican Grill
- Conagra Brands
- Consumer Federation of America (founding partner)
- Food Marketing Institute Foundation (founding partner)
- International Association for Food Protection
- International Dairy-Deli-Bakery Association
- International Food Information Council
- McDonald’s Corp.
- Meijer Inc.
- National Association of Convenience Stores
- National Chicken Council (founding partner)
- National Grocers Association
- National Pork Board
- National Restaurant Association
- National Turkey Federation
- North American Millers’ Association
- NSF International
- Produce Marketing Association (founding partner)
- Publix Super Markets Charities
- Refrigerated Foods Association
- Sysco Corp.
- Tyson Foods Inc.
- United Fresh Produce Association
PFSE celebrated a number of successes in the past year:
- Launched the Safe Recipe Style Guide in March 2019, a systemic approach based on observational data showing that safe food handling prompts in recipes lead to adherence to safe food handling practices at home;
- Reached more than 150,000 households with young children in three months with information on safe handling of bottles and baby food;
- Reached more than 205 million consumers with “The Story of Your Dinner” campaign during the 2018 holiday meal time season;
- Reached out to nearly 2 million visitors through flagship website, fightbac.org;
- Reached 1.2 million consumers with safe poultry handling messages through the “Don’t Wing It” campaign; and
- Reached 6 million readers with a featured article in Diabetes Forecast magazine.
“Nonprofit organizations rely heavily on engaging partners to be as effective as possible in improving the lives of individuals. The nonprofit Partnership for Food Safety Education is honored to be supported by such passionate organizations representing the food industry, scientific associations, nutrition and consumer groups,” says Means.