Last updated on September 17th, 2019 at 03:18 pm
Jacksonville, Florida-based Southeastern Grocers Inc. (SEG), parent company of Bi-Lo, Fresco y Más, Harveys Supermarket and Winn-Dixie stores, expanded its WD’s Taproom concept to the Point Meadows community during a grand opening event, held on Aug. 28, 5-7 p.m. This latest store evolution now offers Point Meadows customers the opportunity to “sip and shop” as they stroll through Winn-Dixie’s aisles, relax in convenient pub-style seating areas with flat-screen TVs or grab a growler to go. The first 50 customers who arrived by 5 p.m. received a complimentary 64-oz. growler to fill with the brew of their choice and a mystery gift card valued at $5 or $250. Customers also had a chance to win a Yeti Cooler and a $100 gift card during a free raffle—just in time for the Labor Day weekend.
Eddie Garcia, EVP of store growth for SEG, said, “After seeing the success of our first WD’s Taproom in our Neptune Beach store earlier this year, we believe the Point Meadows store is the perfect area to expand this concept to our customers. We’ve worked hard to ensure the WD’s Taproom concept fits the needs of our customers at this store. We are excited for them to experience it and give us their feedback so we can consider expanding this concept to other stores and markets in the future.”
During the grand opening and throughout the Labor Day weekend, Winn-Dixie will also donate $1 to charity partner Folds of Honor for each taproom beverage purchased at the Point Meadows’ location, and at the Neptune Beach WD’s Taproom, to support their mission to provide educational scholarships to the children and spouses impacted by a loved one’s sacrifice for the U.S. military. Every beverage purchased at each WD’s Taproom through Monday, Sept. 2, will help Folds of Honor and Winn-Dixie fund a scholarship for a student in need.
Attendees also met local craft brewers including Bold City Brewery and enjoyed live music, taproom food sampling, pub-style games and other giveaways.
The grand opening of WD’s Taproom showcased new amenities and conveniences including:
- Eight brews on tap, ranging from everyday favorites to local crafts, for $3.50 per 16-oz. pint. Local craft brewers include Veterans United Craft Brewery, Bold City Brewery, Engine 15Brewing Co. and Cigar City Brewing.
- Growlers including the new 32-oz. growler with fill for $11 or refill for $7 and the new 64 oz. growler with fill for $19 or refill for $14.
- Five fine wine varieties (red and white), starting at $3 per 5-oz. glass.
- Coffee (including espresso, frappes and other iced coffee varieties) and fountain drinks starting at $1.20.
- Combo meals with pints and choice of pizza, subs, wings or ribs (full or half), starting at $4 along with larger combo meal options including a full rack of ribs and Stuff the Bucket wings ranging from $16 to $22.
Throughout the Labor Day Weekend, customers can continue to meet and greet with local craft brewer partners at the store including Veteran’s United Brewery on Friday, Sept. 6, 5-7 p.m. and Engine 15 Brewing Co. on Saturday, Sept. 7, noon-3 p.m.
WD’s Taproom at the Point Meadows Winn-Dixie in Jacksonville at 10915-122 Baymeadows Road, will be open 11 a.m.-8 p.m., seven days a week.
Taproom customers must be 21 or older.
Photos courtesy of Southeastern Grocers