Bellwether Farms picked up five awards at the American Cheese Society conference in Richmond, Virginia. The American Cheese Society promotes the American cheese industry, providing educational resources, encouraging the highest standards of cheesemaking, while focusing on sustainability.
The competition is the largest contest of its kind for American-made cheeses, celebrating the craft of cheesemakers. Accepting the awards was Bellwether Farms owner and cheesemaker, Liam Callahan, who was also featured during the conference’s ‘Meet the Cheesemaker’ event.
The company was recognized for the following cheeses:
- 1st Place Gold Medal in Fresh Unripened Cheese made from Cow’s Milk Category: Bellwether Farms Fromage Blanc
- 2nd Place Silver Medal in Fresh Unripened Cheese made from Sheep’s Milk Category: Bellwether Farms Fresh Sheep Cheese
- 2nd Place Silver Medal in Cultured Milk and Cream Products: Bellwether Farms Plain Organic Cow Yogurt
- 2nd Place Silver Medal in Cultured Milk and Cream Products made from Sheep’s Milk Category: Bellwether Farms Plain Sheep Yogurt
- 3rd Place Bronze Medal in Sheep Milk Cheeses Aged over 60 days: Bellwether Farms San Andreas
The Sonoma County, California-based company adds these five medals to a collection of recent accolades, including the 2019 Good Food Award and the Gold award at the 2019 Sofi Awards, both for their Whole Milk Basket Ricotta.
The company’s products are currently sold in hundreds of conventional grocery stores and independent retailers across the nation, including Costco.
The family-run creamery’s lineup of fresh and cultured products include Organic Whole Milk Cow Yogurt, Sheep Milk Yogurt, Crème Fraiche, Fromage Blanc, Crescenza and Whole Milk Basket Ricotta. It also offers a lineup of aged cheeses, such as Carmody, San Andreas and Pepato.