Hy-Vee customers in the Kansas City area may soon notice a new look inside their local grocery store. The employee-owned company is remodeling 14 of its Kansas and Missouri locations in the area to include unique foodservice offerings, new departments, updated signage, enhanced health and wellness services and, in some cases, refreshed convenience stores.
Construction already is underway at several locations, with most remodels expected to be complete by early 2020.
“Hy-Vee has a proud history in the Kansas City metro area, opening our first store in Overland Park in 1988,” said Jeremy Gosch, EVP, co-chief operating officer and chief retail officer for Hy-Vee. “Thirty-one years later, we have 24 stores serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka and Manhattan and are excited to make this nearly $90 million investment in an area that has been a great home to Hy-Vee.”
The scope of the renovation and department updates will vary by location, however, general renovations include new foodservice options such as Mia Pizza, Hibachi and sushi islands, Basin and beauty department expansions, relocation and upgrade of existing in-store Starbucks locations, HealthMarket expansions, new floral departments, gifting departments, the addition of Joe Fresh clothing, self-checkout lanes and the rebranding of existing Hy-Vee Gas locations to Hy-Vee Fast & Fresh Express locations.
The following stores are being or have been remodeled:
- 64th Street Hy-Vee, 5330 N.W. 64th Street, Kansas City, Missouri
- Barry Road Hy-Vee, 8301 N. St. Clair Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri
- Liberty Hy-Vee, 109 N. Blue Jay Drive, Liberty, Missouri
- Blue Springs Hy-Vee, 625 W. Highway 40, Blue Springs, Missouri
- Gladstone Hy-Vee, 7117 N. Prospect, Gladstone, Missouri
- Noland Road Hy-Vee, 4545 S. Noland Road, Independence, Missouri
- Shawnee Hy-Vee, 13550 W. 63rd Street, Shawnee, Kansas
- 95th Street Hy-Vee, 8501 W. 95th Street, Overland Park, Kansas
- Overland Park South Hy-Vee, 8900 W. 135th Street, Overland Park, Kansas
- Prairie Village Hy-Vee, 7620 State Line Road, Prairie Village, Kansas
- Lenexa Hy-Vee, 13400 W. 87th Parkway, Lenexa, Kansas
- Clinton Parkway Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway, Lawrence, Kansas
Several additional stores in the area will be remodeled starting in 2020.
Included in the company’s $90 million investment is Hy-Vee’s Kansas City Fulfillment Center that will open later this fall to serve the area’s Hy-Vee Aisles Online grocery pickup and delivery customers.
In 2018, Hy-Vee strengthened its connection with the community when it became the naming rights partner for Hy-Vee Arena (formerly Kemper Arena) as part of the revitalization efforts of Kansas City’s Stockyard District.
Hy-Vee is based in West Des Moines, Iowa.