On Sept. 12, Hunger Action Day, Southeastern Grocers (SEG), parent company of Bi-Lo, Fresco y Más, Harveys and Winn-Dixie stores, revealed seven mobile food pantries it will host in partnership with Feeding America food banks, as part of its ongoing effort to fight food insecurity.
More than 8.6 million people struggle with hunger in the seven states Southeastern Grocers serves. During the mobile food pantries, SEG will distribute more than $192,000 worth of food to its neighbors in need and provide associates the hands-on opportunity to positively impact communities in the Southeast. In addition to the mobile food pantries and in recognition of Hunger Action Day, SEG Gives Foundation donated $200,000 to Feeding America during today’s pantry event in New Orleans.
Elizabeth Thompson, EVP and chief people officer of SEG, says, “As a grocer, our greatest responsibility is to provide food to feed families. We take that very seriously and believe it extends beyond those who shop our stores. Millions of people across the seven states we serve are food insecure—these are our beloved communities and our neighbors. It is our honor as a grocer and a community member to join the fight against hunger. Together, we can make a difference.”
Claire Babineaux-Fontenot, CEO of Feeding America, says, ”The Feeding America network is grateful to Southeastern Grocers for giving back to communities in need during Hunger Action Month and beyond. Through mobile events, product donation and financial support, SEG has helped member food banks provide more meals to children and families who struggle to put food on their tables. We are thankful for this partnership in the fight to end hunger.”
SEG and Feeding America member food banks are holding mobile food pantries across the Southeast in the following cities:
- Tampa, Florida– on Sept. 11 in partnership with Feeding Tampa Bay
- Location: Family of Christ West Lutheran Church, 5601 Hanley Road
- New Orleans, Louisiana – on Sept. 12, Hunger Action Day, in partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana
- Location: Salvation Army, 4526 S. Claiborne Avenue
- Panama City, Florida – on Sept. 19 in partnership with Feeding the Gulf Coast
- Location: Winn-Dixie #487, 3157 W. 23rd Street
- Gulfport, Mississippi – on Sept. 21 in partnership with Feeding the Gulf Coast
- Location: First Baptist Church of Gulfport, 12190 Highway 605
- Lauderhill, Florida – on Sept. 25 in partnership with Feeding South Florida
- Location: William Dandy Middle School, 2400 NW 26th Street
- Jacksonville, Florida – on Sept. 28 in partnership with Feeding Northeast Florida
- Location: SEG Tech Center, 5050 Edgewood Avenue
- Mobile, Alabama – on Oct. 5 in partnership with Feeding the Gulf Coast
- Location: The City Church of Mobile, 3750 Michael Boulevard
Feeding America member food banks are lifelines for people who may not have access to healthy meals. That is why Southeastern Grocers is proud to actively participate in Hunger Action Month to provide meals through mobile pantries and food donations to meet essential nutrition needs for adults, children and seniors throughout the Southeast.
SEG has a long tradition of investing in the communities it serves and its continued partnership with Feeding America provides opportunities to help neighbors in need and make a difference in local communities.