Whole Foods Market will open its new 40,400-s.f. Midtown Houston store located at 515 Elgin Street, at 8 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 7. Opening day events will include complimentary coffee, local product sampling and music before the store opens. Additionally, the first 200 customers will receive a custom Whole Foods Market Midtown Houston reusable canvas tote bag and a savings card with a mystery value ranging between $5 and $100.
“We’re thrilled to bring Whole Foods Market to Midtown Houston” says Patrick Mcilvain, store team leader. “In addition to its large selection of locally sourced options, grab-and-go prepared foods and natural and organic grocery items, this store will offer exciting features like products that are exclusive to Whole Foods Market Midtown Houston, unique venues for coffee, juices and smoothies and décor inspired by Midtown’s art district.”
All food at Whole Foods Market must meet the company’s rigorous quality standards, which prohibit hydrogenated fats, high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. In addition, all beauty and body care products must meet the company’s body care standards, which ban animal testing and more than a hundred commonly used ingredients.
Special features of the store include:
- Fresh produce department offering a selection of seasonal fruits and vegetables, as well as unique offerings like bruschetta-making kits and oven-ready meals.
- Bakery featuring in-house made items and selections from local suppliers, including various breads found along the department’s hearth bread wall, as well as seasonal cakes, mini desserts and options for special diets.
- Full-service butcher department offering made-in-house sausages, fresh meat cuts and several options from local suppliers.
- Seafood department featuring fresh offerings such as red snapper, grouper fillets and black drum fish, and made-in-house, ready-to-cook options including crab stuffed salmon roasts and whole stuffed bronzini.
- Specialty foods section featuring products from local suppliers, curated seasonal selections and made-in-house cheese items such as grab-and-go cheese plates, fresh chevre dips, truffle sets with honey and cheeses, brie en croute and sommelier-selected wine and cheese pairings; an in-store American Cheese Society certified cheese professional oversees the cheese selection and can offer expertise, pairing suggestions and recommendations for any request or occasion.
- Prepared foods section with a wide selection of hot and cold food bars featuring salad, soup wells, pizza, rotisserie chickens, sushi, sandwiches, tacos and a variety of plant-based offerings.
- Beauty and body care department featuring more than 60 products from more than 12 local suppliers.
- Expansive selection of beer and wine with more than 40 options from local producers, with in-house cicerones on staff.
- Juice bar offering made-to-order smoothies and juices.
The Midtown Houston store will also feature Briggo, an Austin-based company offering Connected Coffee. Hot and iced coffees and teas, seasonal beverages, and specialty drinks will be available for order via mobile app and robotic Coffee Haus. Briggo will serve its own whole-bean Latin American blend, Allegro’s Bel Canto and decaf blends. It is part of the Friends of Whole Foods Market program, which provides the opportunity for businesses that align with the company’s mission and quality standards to establish their own, independent retail spaces inside Whole Foods Market stores.
Amazon Prime members who shop at Whole Foods Market have access to a number of benefits year-round, like deep discounts on dozens of select popular products each week and an additional 10 percent off hundreds of in-store items. In addition, eligible Prime members receive 5 percent back on Whole Foods Market purchases when using the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card.
Five percent of the store’s net sales on Thursday, Nov. 14 will benefit Urban Harvest, a nonprofit organization that aims to cultivate thriving communities through community gardens, farmers markets, gardening classes and youth education.
Whole Foods Market Midtown Houston will employ approximately 145 full- and part-time team members. Following the grand opening, the store will be open from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. daily.
Whole Foods Market has 11 additional stores in the greater Houston area.