Rao’s Homemade, a producer of pasta sauces, is introducing a line of soups made with real ingredients and no artificial flavors or colors. Packaged in clear glass jars, Rao’s soups stand out in a sea of aluminum cans, creating a new segment for shelf-stable, ready-to-serve soup.
“Canned soup was invented in 1897 and hasn’t changed in the last 120 years,” said Risa Cretella, SVP, group manager at Sovos Brands. “Consumer needs and expectations around food quality, clean ingredients, and delicious taste have evolved so much. Isn’t it time soup evolved too? Rao’s soups have nothing to hide—the clean, high-quality ingredients are visible both printed on the label and through the clear glass jar. Unlike with canned soups, consumers don’t have to guess what’s inside, which gives them more confidence that they are serving their loved ones wholesome, delicious, authentic food.”
Rao’s premium, Italian-style soups include:
- Italian Wedding: Chicken broth with beef and pork meatballs, carrots, acini di pepe, spinach and onions.
- Chicken Noodle: Chicken broth with pieces of chicken, tender fusilli pasta, and aromatic mix of carrots, celery and onions.
- Vegetable Minestrone: Italian tomato broth simmered with carrots, celery, onions, ditalini pasta, potatoes, zucchini, peas, green beans, red kidney beans and chickpeas.
- Pasta & Fagioli: Italian tomato broth with a blend of navy beans, dark red kidney beans, ditalini pasta, carrots, celery and parmesan cheese.
- Tomato Basil: Italian whole peeled tomatoes simmered with carrots, celery, onion, basil and garlic.
- Chicken & Gnocchi: Creamy chicken broth with gnocchi, chicken, carrots, onions, spinach and celery.
“For years, Rao’s has brought families and friends together around the table to share delicious meals, and these new soups are made with the same artisan craftsmanship and Italian authenticity as our sauces,” said Santino Certo, senior brand manager of Rao’s Homemade. “We’re pleased to offer consumers a new premium option at the grocery shelf that’s not hidden in an aluminum can but, rather, showcased in a glass jar. We’re proud of our quality ingredients, confident in our homemade taste, and we have nothing to hide.”