Commerce, California-based Smart & Final, the grocery warehouse store for household and business customers, launched two customized online shopping portals at SmartandFinal.com and Business.SmartandFinal.com. The new platforms are powered by technology partner Mercatus and delivered by Shipt, TForce and others who provide fulfillment of household and business orders.
Household customers now can view weekly specials on Smart & Final’s ad circular and instantly add items to a shopping list or to their cart for delivery. Shoppable recipes will streamline meal planning and allow customers to build and save customized shopping lists. Customers also can build a profile to reflect dietary allergies or preferences, and through each customer’s account, they can manage subscriptions, payment options and purchase history. To ensure a seamless and helpful experience, the website also offers more intuitive shopping suggestions based on each shopper’s views and previous purchases.
Smart & Final’s business customers can now create an account under their business name, apply for tax exemptions, receive tax exemptions for online orders and complete online payment for delivery orders.
Same-day deliveries for all customers are available in less than two hours for a delivery fee of $4.99 plus a flat service fee of $6.40.
The retailer also released two new apps to reflect the new shopping experience. Customers on the Smart & Final app or Smart & Final Business app can easily transition between apps and the online site with their profile and cart intact.
“With the new SmartandFinal.com, we set out to create a simple and customizable shopping experience that’s tailored to each person’s needs,” said Ed Wong, EVP and chief digital officer for Smart & Final. “Our customers want the convenience of delivery combined with the high-quality products and great value from our stores, but in one seamless online experience. We are excited to be expanding and improving our online presence and will continue to listen, test and explore new ways to enhance SmartandFinal.com.”
Smart & Final will leverage new platform capabilities from Mercatus, including a bilingual English and Spanish shopping experience, along with call center operations management and support in both languages.
The Mercatus platform offers an end-to-end shopping experience, from engagement through order completion via in-store pick-up or delivery orchestration. Throughout the shopper journey, the following companies will enable Smart & Final’s end-to-end experience:
- AgilOne provides Smart & Final with a single source for insights into customer shopping behavior and ways to optimize the online shopping experience.
- Flipp gives shoppers a best-in-class weekly ad experience across Smart & Final’s digital properties and amplified across the Flipp app.
- GK Software creates a frictionless checkout by implementing virtual point-of-sale technology to enhance in-store transactions in conjunction with e-commerce initiatives
- InfoSys enables Smart & Final to integrate multiple technology systems
- Shipt: With Delivered by Shipt integrated, Smart & Final offers a streamlined, start-to-finish same-day delivery option.
- Tata Consultancy Services delivers retail expertise to Smart & Final’s digital commerce business operations.
- TForce caters to Smart & Final’s business customers with customized logistics solutions for same-day and pre-scheduled single and multiple bulk shipments.
“The ability to grow our digital offering, while maintaining direct contact with our customers, is essential,” said Wong. “As we continuously strive to maintain a lasting relationship with our shoppers, partnering with Mercatus and other platform partners is the logical next step towards enhancing and ultimately owning our e-commerce experience. With the Mercatus platform, we believe that our online experience will serve the evolving needs of our valued customers.”
“Today’s grocers are at risk of losing their shopper relationships. Many have unknowingly given up control over the one thing they can’t afford to lose—ownership of the digital shopping experience,” said Sylvain Perrier, president and CEO of Mercatus. “Smart & Final has taken the bold step of reclaiming its online presence, to serve, nurture and retain its valued shoppers. With assistance from our expansive network of technology partners, we’re excited to work with Smart & Final to offer online shopping in ways that positively affect not only its bottom line, but also control over its digital future.”