H-E-B plans to open a new Kerrville, Texas, store on Main Street. At 106,000 s.f., the new store, which will be situated next to an existing H-E-B on Main Street, will feature an expansive product assortment and several services the grocer now offers.
Site construction already is underway, and the new store is expected to open in late 2020. The existing 79,000-s.f. Kerrville H-E-B on Main Street first opened in 1984. It will close upon the opening of the new store.
“We are excited to bring a new H-E-B store to Kerrville, the city where it all started for our company,” said Julie Bedingfield, H-E-B public affairs manager. “With an enhanced in-store experience and commitment to top quality service and selection, this new store allows us to continue to serve the growing needs of our customers and provide the community with the best we have to offer.”
H-E-B will introduce design elements that complement the look and feel of the surrounding neighborhood and the Hill Country community, incorporating metal shed roofs and limestone materials. The limestone used for the store honors the company’s second location for its store, which opened in 1911 at the rock Masonic Building on Earl Garrett Street in Kerrville.
Among the store’s new features are H-E-B’s lauded True Texas BBQ restaurant. Also, the gas station will add gas pumps as well as include diesel fuel and a car wash.
Along with new services such as H-E-B Curbside and Home Delivery, customers will find H-E-B’s signature features and conveniences, with many new and expanded product selections.
Some new highlights and updated departments from the store include:
- H-E-B Curbside service allows customers to create a shopping list online and pick up their order at the store.
- 22 checkstands with several self-checkout registers.
- Meal Simple area with options for meal planning.
- Showtime Kitchen feature live demos and daily samplings of recipes that can be made at home.
- Sushiya offering handmade sushi selections made in-store daily.
- A bakery department featuring handmade artisan breads, cakes and a tortillería for fresh tortillas made in-house.
- A large selection of craft and import beers and wines from around the world.
- Expanded frozen department.
- Cheese shop with expanded selection.
- Pharmacy with drive-thru service.
To pay homage to the company’s roots, part of the design element will include a decorative facade that resembles the retailer’s original store, which was located in the 800 block of Main Street and opened in 1905 as C.C. Butt Grocery Store. The Curbside logo on the store will include a Model T, which is a nod to the early days of H-E-B grocery delivery.
While it’s not the official location of the original store, a Texas state historical marker stands at the current Main Street store property that commemorates H-E-B’s humble beginnings in Kerrville. It was dedicated in 2016.