Lay’s, having recently unveiled its first brand redesign in over a decade, is looking for ordinary people doing extraordinary things to create joy in their communities. And as Lay’s kicks off its nationwide search for people to feature on its packaging, the brand is introducing three new chip flavors across its entire portfolio this month: Lay’s Cheddar Jalapeño, Lay’s Poppables Sea Salt & Vinegar and Lay’s Kettle Cooked Flamin’ Hot.
Lay’s issued its first-ever Smiles Survey to map the most joyful regions of the country and determine what’s bringing them joy:
- While 66 percent of Americans consider themselves “happy” people, the state of New York reported the highest level of joy, followed by Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Texas, Michigan, Arkansas, Connecticut, Alabama, and Indiana rounding out the top 10 list of most joyful states in America.
- People across the country are feeling joyous for different reasons, with those in the Northeast noting their states’ seasons, residents in the South giving a nod to their friendly people, people in the West loving nature, and Midwesterners savoring their small-town feel.
- Sports teams give residents in Ohio, Maryland and Massachusetts something to smile about; Pennsylvania is particularly proud of its history; Michigan and Minnesota love their lakes; and food/restaurants rank high for those in Louisiana, Illinois, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island.
Lay’s is inviting consumers to visit SmileWithLays.com to nominate their friends and family for the Lay’s Smiles campaign, which will once again benefit Operation Smile in 2020. Last year, Lay’s custom-designed 65 potato chip bags to feature the smiles of 31 ordinary people whose extraordinary acts—from throwing birthday parties for children in need, to providing jobs to women transitioning out of homelessness, to training injured veterans—inspired more than 17,500 Instagram shares to date and countless more smiles across the country.
While Lay’s 2020 Smiles bags will hit shelves this fall, latest additions to the Lay’s portfolio will be in stores this month:
- Lay’s Cheddar Jalapeño (7.75 oz. –$3.79; 2.625 oz. – $1.89)
- Lay’s Poppables Sea Salt & Vinegar (5 oz. –$3.79)
- Lay’s Kettle Cooked Flamin’ Hot (8 oz. –$3.49; 2.5oz – $1.89)
Frito-Lay North America partnered with Lucid to field the 2020 Lay’s Smiles Survey. This poll was conducted between Dec. 5-16, 2019, among a national sample of 5,000 adults. The interviews were conducted online and the data was weighted to approximate a target sample of adults based on region, gender, age, race/ethnicity, and household income. Results from the full survey have a margin of error of plus or minus 1 percentage point.
Lay’s is one of the brands that makes up Frito-Lay North America, which is based in Plano, Texas.