Basics, a new market designed to help people cook more at home and support local farmers and producers with fresh, regional ingredients, will open its newest location in Hillsdale this February. The locally owned grocery is leasing the 12,000-s.f. space formerly occupied by Food Front at 6344 SW Capitol Highway.
Basics was founded by Chuck Eggert and partners as directly as possible with local producers to minimize distribution costs and waste, and preserve nutrition. Hillsdale shoppers will find:
- Ingredients organized by seasonally inspired recipes developed by award-winning chefs and vetted by staff nutritionists for optimal health;
- A Northwest Proteins counter featuring sustainably raised meats locally sourced from farms that prioritize animal welfare and sustainable practices, local seafood, cured meats and plant-based selections;
- Fresh, seasonal produce delivered daily to ensure peak nutrition;
- Organic, locally produced brands from Eggert’s family farms, including Lulubelle’s Creamery organic dairy products and Gwendolyn’s Organic Eggs; and
- In-house nutrition support.
“We couldn’t pass up the opportunity to come back home to Hillsdale,” said Fernando Divina, president of Basics. “We’re so very proud to present local foods committed to healthy, seasonal ingredients, knowledgeable staff and serving the neighborhood with an abundance of fresh foods and meal inspiration that makes it easier to cook at home.”
With the Hillsdale location, Basics founder Chuck Eggert’s local history comes full circle as the location was originally a Natures, a chain of local natural food stores Eggert backed in the 1990s. Eggert re-entered the local grocery scene in 2017 with Basics, opening its first location in the Faubion School campus, followed by a second store on northeast Portland’s Sandy Boulevard in 2018. Its third shop opened in Tualatin last year. Hillsdale will be Basics’ fourth location. Additional stores in Beaverton and Portland’s Pearl District opening later this year will bring Basics to six locations.
Part of the Wild Rose Food Co., Basics is a collection of area markets that feature classrooms and gathering places in addition to curated fresh foods and pantry staples.