H-E-B’s reinvestment in the Meyerland community of Houston, Texas, has gone vertical. H-E-B Meyerland Market, located at 4955 Beechnut, opened Wednesday, Jan. 29, at 6 a.m. Serving as an anchor in the Meyerland Plaza, the brand new, 95,000-s.f. store replaces the former Braeswood store that closed after enduring significant damage from the floods following Hurricane Harvey.
With expanded and covered parking in the two-level garage, equipped with elevators and escalators to ease navigation to and from the car, the new store brings customers a mix of freshness and convenience while maintaining H-E-B’s low prices and catering to the diverse needs of the community.
“We have been a part of the Meyerland community for more than 25 years and are proud to be back with the best of the best for our loyal customer following,” said Hugh Sintic, GM of H-E-B Meyerland Market. The 25-year H-E-B veteran added, “This store will offer products from all over the world with a strong emphasis on our kosher customer. It’s an honor to bring this community the options it deserves.”
Due to popular demand, the store is stocked with an expansive selection of certified kosher items produced in-store and approved by H-E-B’s full-time mashgiach. Choose from the store’s kosher coffee and sandwich bar provided by The Roastery, kosher sushi selections, kosher custom cuts from the Fresh Meat Market and the kosher bakery featuring a selection of kosher cakes, breads, bagels and tortillas. There’s more in store and it’s all easy to find, just look for the signs throughout the store.
“This store is a one-stop-shop not only for healthy food choices but also kosher needs,” said Levy Donin, manager in charge, 18-year H-E-B partner and a former leader of the Braeswood location. Prior to joining H-E-B, Donin supervised the kosher initiatives for a competitor and has been instrumental in expanding H-E-B’s kosher offerings in addition to his store management duties. “This community has gone through so much and it’s a privilege to be a part of its healing and rebuilding.”
Engaging food conveniences
H-E-B Meyerland Market will offer the full line of its H-E-B Meal Simple heat-and-eat options. Created with the highest quality ingredients, these family favorites are fresh, convenient and easy for streamlining a home-cooked meal. With more than 50 oven-ready options that range from Chicken Tortilla Soup to Simple Garlic Pesto Atlantic Salmon with Asparagus, each dish is packed with flavor and can be ready in minutes.
H-E-B’s Curbside and Home Delivery, a favorite throughout Houston, makes shopping on the go more convenient than ever with the new and improved My H-E-B app. Re-download the My H-E-B app in the Apple App Store and on Google Play. Once downloaded, log into your existing H-E-B account and start shopping.
H-E-B’s personal shoppers will hand pick all your grocery selections and deliver to you curbside or doorstep at your scheduled time. Reorder previous orders or shop past purchases, browse departments, choose from curated collections, apply coupons and track order progress in one single app.
Local resource for healthy food choices
In addition to an unrivaled selection of kosher items—from fresh meats to dry goods, as well as dairy and pareve breads—H-E-B Meyerland Market will serve as a quality living source that supports healthy eating on a budget. The store will feature 1,500 H-E-B Organics products throughout the store—from the produce aisles and fresh meat market to the frozen department and grocery shelves—always at H-E-B’s everyday low prices.
Across the store—from local produce to the fresh meat market to the freezer section—shoppers will find more offerings for less, and unsurpassed freshness, quality and variety—specially selected for Meyerland.
“Being a part of H-E-B for the past 14 years and serving in five unique communities has allowed me to learn new customs and cultures each time,” said Tom Theriot, store director, Meyerland Market. “This store is no different. It has been tailored for this community through research and listening to our customers. I look forward to providing the very best H-E-B has to offer.”
Returning to Meyerland
Building a bigger store means expanding the offerings. With more than 40,000 options, highlights include:
- Largest assortment of Texas-made products—H-E-B is in constant search of the most flavorful and truly unique products made in the Lone Star State, adding more Texas and more taste than ever before to store shelves;
- The Fresh Meat Market features natural and prime cuts of meat in addition to a wide assortment of seasoned meats—ready for the grill, fully cooked, meatless and kosher selections;
- Fully-stocked Healthy Living department with bulk foods including honey, nuts, grains, dried fruits, snack mixes, a wide variety of supplements and more;
- A full-service pharmacy on the first floor with drive through access;
- Full-service seafood department with 28 feet of fresh fish and seafood flown in daily, fresh sushi and poke bowls handmade in-store daily by Sushiya;
- The wine and beer selection features more than 195 feet of wine with 12 feet of kosher options and a variety of beers with an emphasis on Texas craft and hyper local craft. Guests can also seek assistance from the dedicated wine manager on duty for the perfect pairing;
- Full-service scratch bakery and tortillería highlights a wide selection of organic and artisan breads baked daily, fresh tortillas, large varieties of desserts, pastries and custom cakes;
- H-E-B Floral is ready to adorn any size gathering from intimate dinners to family celebrations, remembrances or simply for those just-because moments;
- Cooking Connection and the Showtime Kitchen feature live demonstrations and daily samplings using quick and easy recipes that can be replicated at home;
- Made in-store palate quenchers, including fresh squeezed juices and freshly made guacamole; and
- Texas hospitality and knowledgeable service that’s second to none—provided by 360 H-E-B partners (employees)
The Meyerland coffee scene will enjoy The Roastery’s handcrafted kosher coffees, including its signature H-town roast, and a carefully curated completely kosher menu. The Roastery is open at H-E-B Meyerland Market, Buffalo Heights, Bellaire Market and The Heights in addition to the flagship location at the San Felipe H-E-B. Hours at this location will be Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
Building on arts initiative
As with H-E-B Houston openings at Buffalo Heights, Bellaire Market and The Heights, the company continues its arts initiative with a permanent installation by Heather Gauthier, this one with a wilder side. The installation consists of a series of six grocery and food-themed animal portraits—Snack Solutions (giraffe), Party Animals (owls), Host with the Most (bull), Floral Felines (kitties), Speedy Shopper (cheetah) and Employees of the Month (llamas)—that welcome shoppers when they arrive on the second-floor entry.
Spirit of giving
H-E-B is committed to its customers beyond the four walls of its stores, weaving a Spirit of Giving into its business philosophy. In this spirit, H-E-B presented two community donations totaling $10,000 in honor of the store’s grand opening. Willbern Heritage Scholarship Foundation will receive $5,000 to support scholarships for higher education to students who are in a career or technology education work program while in high school and graduating from public schools in Southwest Houston—currently Bellaire, Lamar, Westbury, Sharpstown and Lee High Schools.
The Willow Waterhole Greenway will receive $5,000 to preserve the 290-acre greenway located near the intersection of South Post Oak Road and South Main Street. This Westbury-area oasis provides relief from flooding concerns, is designated for wildlife conservation and allows for passive recreation including walking trails and gazebos.
H-E-B, with sales of $28 billion, operates more than 400 stores in Texas and Mexico. The company will celebrate its 115th anniversary this year. Based in San Antonio, H-E-B employs more than 120,000 partners in Texas and Mexico and serves millions of customers in more than 300 communities.