Quincy, Massachusetts-based Ahold Delhaize USA, the largest grocery retail group on the East Coast and fourth largest in the nation, with local brands including Stop & Shop, Food Lion, Giant Food, The Giant Co. and Hannaford, put together a $10 million relief package to address critical needs in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
“Serving our brands’ associates and communities is one of our greatest calls to action at Ahold Delhaize USA, and we take to heart our responsibility during this time of need,” said Kevin Holt, CEO of Ahold Delhaize USA. “We’re inspired by the selfless dedication of medical professionals and first responders, the acts of kindness and compassion across the globe, and the commitment from our own team to serve and feed their families, friends and neighbors.”
The funding will be earmarked as follows:
- $2 million for associate care funds—Lion’s Pride, Helping Hands and Take Care. These funds are for employees and their families in times of need.
- $3.5 million in new funding to feed and care for communities on the East Coast through local brand efforts with Stop & Shop and Food Lion giving an additional $1 million each and $500,000 each by Giant Food, The Giant Co. and Hannaford.
- $3 million already infused through local brands, giving local funding and in-kind product donations with efforts such as:
- Stop & Shop—$1 million divided among 13 regional food bank partners in addition to other local food donations.
- Food Lion—$600,000, including $500,000 for the donation of 5 million meals to community food bank partners to feed students, seniors and other neighbors in need, and a $100,000 donation to Feeding America and other local food donations.
- Giant Food—$550,000 to Feeding America regional food banks, along with donations of food products and customer giveback opportunities to area food banks.
- The Giant Co.—$500,000 to support local hunger relief organizations, including Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, Philabundance, Maryland Food Bank and Meals on Wheels Pennsylvania, and COVID-19 testing and mitigation efforts at five area children’s hospitals: Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Penn State Children’s Hospital, Geisinger Janet Weis Children’s Hospital, Children’s National Medical Center, and Johns Hopkins Children’s Center.
- Hannaford—$250,000 to regional food banks to support efforts in critically impacted areas in five states, and a cash register community donation drive.
- $1.5 million to provide funding to support medical research to create a vaccine and cure for Covid-19. Of this, $500,000 will be donated to each of the leading efforts being conducted at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Johns Hopkins University and Boston Children’s Hospital, a teaching affiliate of Harvard University Medical School.
Ahold Delhaize USA says its companies are also providing economic and financial support in the form of more than 20,000 employment opportunities. In addition, the brands have implemented stronger social distancing efforts including associate and customer education, store signage and plexi-shield protective barriers, among other initiatives. Also, Ahold Delhaize USA brands were among the first to offer dedicated shopping hours to seniors and others who are vulnerable, as well as offering enhanced benefits for associates.
Holt added, “Through our local brand efforts, we play a critical role in the food supply chain and are operating in regions greatly impacted by this crisis. Our Covid-19 relief package ensures we’re financially committing to critical needs, along with implementing continued social distancing measures and creating new employment opportunities when it is needed most.”
Webster Printing launches social distancing sign division
Hanson, Massachusetts-based Webster Printing, providers of commercial printing, commercial sign solutions and complete mailing/fulfillment services with locations in Hanson and Hanover, Massachusetts, has launched a new “Social Distancing Sign Solutions” division.
“We had an opportunity to create generic social distancing signs for a large New England supermarket chain and overnight, demand for this type of signage increased exponentially,” said Ernie Foster, president of Webster Printing. “Whether a company has one or 150 locations, we make it incredibly easy for them to obtain high quality, durable social distancing signage. For example, store sign placement evaluations may be done via virtual tour on a smart phone. We’re a full-service printer with the expertise and capacity for speedy custom sign fulfillment.”
Webster’s in-house design and creative services team can personalize and customize any type of social distancing signage. Or, if preferred, customers may provide their own file. With two shifts running, turnaround 48 hours.
“Although social distancing signage is critical during this crisis, the rules of social distancing will most likely remain with us for the foreseeable future,” Foster said. “Education and continual reinforcement are the new reality. Webster Printing has come up with some ideas to help educate the public about the new social distancing rules.”
Webster Printing said it is meeting this new demand with a dedicated division that offers both generic and customized social distancing signage. Among the markets they serve are hospitals, banks, pharmaceutical, corporate facilities, grocery and liquor stores, manufacturers, retailers, government buildings, colleges and universities.
Webster Printing offers social distancing signage in any size for walls, windows and floors. The materials used are durable and specified for each particular application. The company also provides signage in different languages (bilingual or multilingual signs) and has the capability to add symbols.
Webster says its in-house creative design team can translate product brands into signage and packaging. It can design and engineer a custom solution that meets even complex requirements, including regulatory compliance for industries like healthcare. An FSC-certified printer, Webster can support customers’ “green” initiatives with FSC-certified materials and environmentally friendly inks.