Meijer has received a score of 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index, a national benchmarking survey and report measuring corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ+ workplace equality.
The Grand Rapids, Michigan-based retailer is joined by more than 760 other major U.S. businesses that also earned top marks this year.
“We are proud to have received this honor again this year in recognition of our continued efforts to build an environment where all our team members and customers feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work or to shop,” said Tim Williams, VP of diversity and inclusion. “While our score may be 100 percent, we know that there is always more to be done, and we are committed to continuing this important work.”
The Index measures key performance indicators, including non-discrimination policies, equitable employment benefits, inclusive culture, public commitment to LGBTQ+ equality and responsible citizenship.
Meijer‘s LGBTQ+ Diversity and Inclusion highlights include:
- Offering equal employment opportunities to all sexual orientations and gender identities;
- Offering parity in benefits between same-sex and different-sex spouses, as well as transgender inclusive health care;
- Supporting the LGBTQ+ communities it serves through sponsorship of local Pride events across the Midwest and partnerships with nonprofits that benefit LGBTQ+ youth;
- Providing a supportive community for LGBTQ+ team members and their allies through its Meijer Pride team member resource group; and
- Promoting robust diversity and inclusion training to all its team members.
“This year has shown us that tools like the CEI are crucial in the work to increase equity and inclusion in the workplace, but also that companies must breathe life into these policies and practices in real and tangible ways,” said Human Rights Campaign President Alphonso David. “Thank you to the companies that understand protecting their LGBTQ employees and consumers from discrimination is not just the right thing to do – but the best business decision.”
To learn more about the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index, the full report is available online at hrc.org/cei.