During the week of April 26, United Supermarkets, Market Street, Albertson Market and Amigos donated nearly 40,000 pounds of apples to food banks across Texas and New Mexico as part of the Take a Bite Out of Hunger program.
In the first 10 years of the program, United Family stores have donated more than 500,000 pounds of apples and fed more than 167,000 families. Now in the 11th year, the company continues to add to that total.
“We are so proud to continue the tradition of the Take a Bite Out of Hunger donations to food banks across our communities,” said Joseph Bunting, produce business director for the United Family. “Now in our 11th year of this program, we understand just how much these donations mean to the food banks and the families they serve.”
This donation marks a continuing commitment by United Supermarkets, Market Street, Albertsons Market and Amigos as original partners of the Take a Bite Out of Hunger program, sponsored by FirstFruits Marketing of Washington. FirstFruits created the program to help feed the underserved while bringing attention to the problem of food insecurity in the U.S.
Food banks receiving donations:
- South Plains Food Bank – Lubbock, Texas;
- High Plains Food Bank – Amarillo, Texas;
- Food Bank of West Central Texas – Abilene, Texas;
- Minnies Food Pantry – Dallas, Texas;
- West Texas Food Bank – Odessa/Midland, Texas;
- Concho Valley Regional Food Bank – San Angelo, Texas;
- Wichita Falls Area Food Bank – Wichita Falls, Texas;
- Food Bank of Eastern New Mexico – Clovis, New Mexico;
- Roadrunner Food Bank – Albuquerque, New Mexico; and
- Storehouse Food Bank of NM – Albuquerque, New Mexico.
In its 105th year of operation, United Supermarkets LLC – d.b.a. The United Family – has stores in 54 communities in Texas and New Mexico. A self-distributing company with headquarters and distribution centers in Lubbock, The United Family currently operates 96 stores under five unique banners: United Supermarkets, Market Street, Amigos, Albertsons Market and United Express, along with ancillary operations R.C. Taylor Distributing, Praters, United Food and Beverage Services and Llano Logistics. The company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Albertsons Companies Inc. For more information, visit theunitedfamily.com.