From a new taqueria serving Mexican food in front of the store to a new “botica” section for homeopathic remedies and a medical clinic inside the store, the new Northgate González Market in the City of South Gate, California, opened June 16. The new store is in the heart of the community at 4155 Tweedy Blvd.
As a California-based, family-owned, Latino-themed independent supermarket chain, the new 49,680-square-foot store provides a convenient location to experience quality, authentic Mexican food and a wide array of fresh fruits and vegetables, grocery items and services at affordable everyday prices.
“We are tremendously proud of the unique, innovative offerings this new store brings to the region,” said Miguel González, co-president of Northgate González Market. “We believe that the new store in South Gate will exceed everyone’s expectations.”
South Gate continues to grow and welcome families looking for a better life.
“We are thrilled to work with city leadership, staff and others to help bring this project to life. We look forward to being a partner in the South Gate community and serving their residents and others nearby,” González said.
As part of its commitment to being a true community partner, Northgate Market has already begun working with local schools and community nonprofits, donating thousands of dollars to help with new sporting equipment, musical instruments, college scholarships and food drives. Some of the organizations include San Miguel Elementary, South Gate Middle, South Gate Senior High, Visual & Performing Arts Legacy High, South East High, East Los Angeles College (South Gate campus), Girl Scouts Troop from South Gate, American Legion of South Gate, St. Helen Catholic Church and South Gate Parks & Recreation.
“We are very happy and excited to welcome Northgate Gonzalez Market to South Gate,” said Mayor Al Rios. “They are a perfect fit for our community. Family-owned, Latino and with a deep sense of pride in their heritage and culture. I look forward to working and building an effective community partnership with Northgate to serve the needs of the residents of South Gate.”
The company offers its customers a full-service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery, tortilleria and prepared foods offering in addition to a sizeable section of domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a Mexican homeland experience. Northgate González Market is best known for many signature items including prepared carne asada, chorizo, made-to-order guacamole and carnitas.
This new store will offer:
- A made-to-order taqueria where customers can walk up to and order from outside the store to purchase favorite tortas, burritos and tacos;
- A Botica offering homeopathic remedies and other more natural alternatives;
- A medical clinic offering a full array of health services from blood pressure screenings to vaccine shots;
- Hot Tamale Bar – Featuring varieties of sweet and savory tamales handmade and individually wrapped;
- Fresh, colorful and quality produce sections offer both traditional and organic varieties of fruits and vegetables with a five-day guarantee;
- A Fresh Made-to-Order Station where you’ll find cut fruit, guacamole and more;
- An expanded chef’s selection of grab-and-go favorites including traditional tortas, empanadas and an assortment of wraps and sandwiches;
- An extensive butcher shop/carniceria where customers will find custom cut meats, fresh marinated offerings, ready-to-cook entrees, authentic chorizos and one of the largest cheeses and crema selections in Southern California;
- An expanded bakery/panadería with an assortment of more than 100 freshly baked artisan breads, specialty cakes, dessert flans and more;
- An extensive beer, wine and tequila section where customers can find their favorite beverage of choice; and
- One of the largest seafood offerings around, including a variety of more than 10 ceviches and shrimp cocktails – made with authentic recipes from around the world, as well as a large fresh seafood/pescadería section offering exciting fresh catches of the week.
The store will open daily from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. For more information about Northgate Market, visit northgatemarkets.com.