The New Jersey Food Council recently hosted a virtual reception and presentation to honor 2021 scholarship recipients from the Educational Development Scholarship Foundation.
“This was a special ceremony to award our students with scholarships that will help further their dreams, goals and career aspirations,” said NJFC President and CEO Linda Doherty. “This virtual reception was our way of celebrating their achievement and recognition of their well-deserved efforts.”
The winners and their families were joined by company sponsors of the individual scholarship awards and were delivered a box of goodies to enjoy during the presentations.
Since the inception of the Scholarship Program in 2011, the three NJFC scholarships have grown to 21 NJFC and member company scholarships totaling $62,000. This year, Allegiance Retail Services created a new $5,000 Robert Powell Memorial Scholarship.
“These scholarships are a rewarding benefit for our members and their families. Every year our program grows and is strengthened by the strong support of our members who continue to make meaningful contributions to the program. Each scholarship serves as an academic engine for the future generation of our member associates and their families,” said Linda Doherty, president and CEO of the NJ Food Council. “NJFC congratulates this year’s scholarship winners. We are so proud of their academic achievements, and hopeful for their future and all the possibilities.”
The following scholarships were awarded this year by NJFC:
NJFC Scholarships – Six awards of $2,500 to a graduating high school senior or college student who is working for a member company and who is pursuing food policy, government affairs or a food industry related career, or an NJFC employee.
- Miriam Nicole Ayala Bonilla, ShopRite of Elizabeth, Kean University (freshman);
- Zachary Dougherty, Saker ShopRite, Monmouth University (junior);
- Sarah Drongoski, Somers Point ShopRite, Atlantic Cape Community College (junior);
- Tamara Farrow, Wawa, Stockton University (junior);
- Lina Maria Larrotta Moya, ShopRite of Elizabeth, Kean University (freshman); and
- Matthew Villapiano, Wakefern Food Corporation, Stevens Institute of Technology (freshman).
Acme Markets Scholarship – An award of $2,500 to an employee or family member employed at Acme Markets.
- Recipient: Samantha Taylor, Acme Markets, Rutgers University (sophomore).
CBA Industries Scholarship – Two awards of $2,500 to an employee or family member employed at CBA Industries or an NJFC Retail Food Market.
- Haley Fasano, CBA Industries, Marist College (sophomore); and
- Alexander Hodanovich, CBA Industries, Bergen Community College (freshman).
Cuellar Family ShopRites Scholarship – An award of $2,500 to an employee or family member employed at Cuellar Family ShopRites.
- Recipient: Tatiana Carolina Guzman, Cuellar Family ShopRites, Hudson County Community College (freshman).
Lawrence R. Inserra Memorial Scholarship – An award of $5,000 to an employee or family member of Inserra Supermarkets.
- Recipient: Matthew Pluzsik, Inserra Supermarkets, Ramapo College of NJ (junior).
Raymond J. Maniaci Scholarship – An award of $8,000 to a student of St. Joseph’s University who is a food marketing major.
- Recipient: Kelly Camperson, St. Joseph’s University (senior).
Robert Powell Memorial Scholarship – An award of $5,000 to an employee or family member of Allegiance Retail Services.
- Recipient: Connor Aleksandrowicz, Allegiance Retail Services, Rutgers University (senior).
QuickChek Corporation Scholarship – An award of $2,000 to an employee or family member employed at QuickChek Corp.
- Recipient: Anijah Missouri Franklin, QuickChek Corp., Howard University (freshman).
Grace Scaduto Memorial Scholarship – An award of $2,000 to a New Jersey resident student or spouse/family member who is employed by Food Circus Supermarkets.
- Recipient: Selene Ramirez, Food Circus Supermarkets, Brookdale Community College (sophomore).
Wawa Education Scholarships – Two awards of $2,500 to an employee or family member employed at Wawa.
- Maxwell Goldman, Wawa, Stockton University (sophomore); and
- Emily Morton, Wawa, Moore College of Art & Design (senior).
Whole Foods Market – Four awards of $2,500 to a team member employed by Whole Foods Market.
- Justin Baraona, Whole Foods Market, Columbia University (junior);
- Evgenii Ignatov, Whole Foods Market, CUNY (junior);
- Erin O’Connor, Whole Foods Market, William Paterson University (senior); and
- Ndey Touray, Whole Foods Market, CUNY (senior).