Phoenix, Arizona-based Sprouts Farmers Market has received a rating of AAA in the 2021 MSCI ESG Ratings assessment. The AAA rating represents the highest on the scale and signifies a company leading its industry in managing the most significant environmental, social and governance risks and opportunities.
It also marks major improvements since Sprouts’ BBB rating last year on the MSCI ESG assessment.
“Over the last two years, we’ve further refined our sustainability focus by partnering with third-party ESG advisors and conducting materiality assessments to understand the issues most important to our stakeholders,” said Brandon Lombardi, chief legal officer and head of ESG. “At Sprouts, we’re proud of the positive impact our business has on the environment, our team members and the communities we serve.”
Sprouts’ 2020-21 ESG highlights include:
- Committed to sourcing 100 percent RSPO certified palm oil for Our Brands product portfolio;
- Expanded sourcing of less carbon intensive products such as local, plant-based and organic;
- Continued focus on food safety within our stores and supply chain;
- Expanded board oversight of ESG initiatives; and
- Opened produce distribution centers in Aurora and Orlando to drive network efficiencies reducing transportation emissions and support fresh, local and organic assortment.
MSCI ESG Research provides MSCI ESG Ratings on global public and a few private companies on a scale of AAA (leader) to CCC (laggard), according to exposure to industry-specific ESG risks and the ability to manage those risks relative to peers. Learn more about MSCI ESG ratings here.
Sprouts employs approximately 35,000 team members and operates more than 360 stores in 23 states nationwide. To learn more about Sprouts, visit about.sprouts.com.