The New Jersey Food Council hosted a virtual reception and presentation June 16 to honor the 2022 scholarship recipients from the Educational Development Scholarship Foundation.
“This was a special ceremony to award our students with scholarships that will help further their dreams, goals and career aspirations,” said Linda Doherty, NJFC president and CEO. “This virtual reception was our way of celebrating their achievement and recognition of their well-deserved efforts.”
The winners and their families were joined by company sponsors of the individual scholarship awards and were delivered a certificate of achievement along with a celebratory box of goodies to enjoy during the presentations.
Since the inception of the program in 2011, the three original awards have grown to 29 scholarships totaling $93,500.
“These scholarships are a rewarding benefit for our members and their families, to support them just like they have supported our industry. Every year our program grows and is strengthened by our members who continue to make meaningful contributions to the program. Each scholarship serves as an academic engine for the future generation of our member associates and their families,” said Linda Doherty, president and CEO.
“NJFC congratulates this year’s scholarship winners. We are so proud of their achievements as they were scholars in their academics and leaders in their schools, while also serving as Supermarket Heroes through their commitment to the community during the height of the Covid-19 crisis. On behalf of NJFC and our members, we wish these winners all the best as they pursue their educational and career goals.”
The following awards were given this year:
- NJFC Founders Scholarship – An award of $5,000 an employee in a food related member business or future industry leader.
- Recipient: Nicholas Canavera, New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- NJFC Student Scholarship – An award of $5,000 to a graduating high school senior or college student who is a family member of a full-time employee of a member company, NJFC employee or part-time student employee of a member company.
- Recipient: Sarah Cirillo, Fordham University.
- NJFC Thomas Infusino Scholarship – An award of $5,000 to an employee in a retail member business.
- Recipient: Isabella Benitez, Keystone College.
- NJFC Scholarships – Four awards of $2,500 to a graduating high school senior or college student who is working for a member company and who is pursuing food policy, government affairs or a food industry related career, or an NJFC employee.
- Recipients: Kyle Delutis, Rider University; Luke McCann, Oberlin College of Arts and Science and Conservatory; Selene Ramirez, Monmouth University; and Jacob Zmuda, Rowan University.
- Acme Markets/Kings Food Markets Scholarship – An award of $2,500 to an employee or family member.
- Recipient: Michael Donaghy, Widener University.
- CBA Industries Scholarship – Two awards of $2,500 to an employee or family member employed at CBA Industries or an NJFC Retail Food Market.
- Recipients: Dominic DiGrazio, University of Bridgeport, and Samuel Sanchez, Montclair State University.
- Cuellar Family ShopRites Scholarship – An award of $2,500 to an employee or family member.
- Recipient: Rosa Gutierrez Damiano, Passaic County Community College.
- Abe Glass Memorial Scholarship – An award of $5,000 to a team member of Glass Gardens ShopRites.
- Recipient: Shanaiya Griffin, North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State.
- Ben Glass Memorial Scholarship – An award of $5,000 to a team member of Glass Gardens ShopRites.
- Recipient: Monika Boceska, Montclair University.
- Glass Gardens ShopRites Scholarships – Four awards of $2,500 to team members.
- Recipients: Nisa Cooper, William Paterson University; Chaim Evelyn, Montclair State University; Trishma Garcon, Howard University; and Michael Saladino, Misericordia University.
- Lawrence R. Inserra Memorial Scholarship – An award of $5,000 to an employee or family member of Inserra Supermarkets.
- Recipient: Olivia Louden, SUNY New Paltz.
- Raymond J. Maniaci Scholarship – An award of $8,000 to a student of St. Joseph’s University who is a food marketing major.
- Recipient: Caitlin Kiefner, St. Joseph’s University.
- Robert Powell Memorial Scholarship – An award of $5,000 to an employee or family member of Allegiance Retail Services.
- Recipient: Jarrett Norman, UNC Greensboro.
- QuickChek Corporation Scholarship – An award of $2,500 to an employee or family member.
- Recipient: Jacqueline Goode, Penn State University.
- Grace Scaduto Memorial Scholarship – Awards to a New Jersey resident student or spouse/family member who is employed by Food Circus Supermarkets.
- Recipient: Naisset Celin Lopez, St. Joseph’s University, $2,000.
- Gavyn Singer, University of the Arts, $1,000.
- Wawa Education Scholarships – Two awards of $2,500 to an employee or family member.
- Recipients: Lindsay Fittipaldi, Quinnipiac University, and Sadiyah Tasneem, Atlantic County Community College.
- Whole Foods Market – Four awards of $2,500 to a team member.
- Recipients: Roneil Boodie, Baruch College; Megan Halaburda, Rutgers University; Bonnie Katz, Hunter College; and Matthew Koziel, Rutgers University.
For more information, visit njfoodcouncil.com.