Camden, New Jersey-based Campbell’s has released its inaugural “State of the Sides” report, a food-focused trend report that dives into common holiday food debates, top side dishes and recipes, as well as a limited-edition holiday sides plate for sale to benefit Feeding America.
The holiday report comes at an important time as the majority of holiday hosts will plan their menu approximately one month to a few weeks out from the holiday. Through a consumer survey and primary research, Campbell’s confirmed 66 percent of respondents prefer sides to their holiday entrée, along with other statistics such as:
- The top five most popular holiday side dishes: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing and mac and cheese.
- People will not cut back when it comes to sides dishes on their holiday table: 90 percent of consumers plan to serve the same number or more sides this season.
- Traditions can be tweaked: 54 percent of consumers plan to try new recipes this season.
- Thanksgiving dinner or Thanksgiving lunch? The most common time to eat your holiday meal is between noon-3 p.m.
- Half of the U.S. would be content with only sides on their holiday plate, and 73 percent of respondents complained about running out of space on their plate for all their sides.
In celebration of the sides being the most loved on the holiday table, the brand is also introducing the Campbell’s Holiday Sides Plate to give consumers exactly what they need – more room for their sides.
The limited-edition, sides-only plate was designed to be a dinnerware for side dishes. The plate further leans into data from the “State of the Sides” report to incorporate features, including:
- Monochromatic coloring and high-grade silicone material to reflect casual tables, with many younger holiday hosts opting for everyday dishware and disposable plates.
- Microwave safe to allow the 98 percent of consumers who plan to eat sides as leftovers the next day to reheat and enjoy.
“The results are in, and Americans love the sides,” said Gary Mazur, VP of marketing, soup and broth, Campbell Soup Company.
“Campbell’s has proudly shared its Green Bean Casserole each holiday season, but we’re excited to celebrate even more joy this season by introducing new side dishes recipes, from mashed potatoes to mac and cheese. Our new Holiday Sides Plate embodies the brand’s joy for the season, while more importantly, giving back to help feed communities in need.”
The Campbell’s Holiday Sides Plate will be sold for $15 on SidesSeason.com with all proceeds going to the brand’s charitable partner, Feeding America, which supports more than 34 million food insecure households in the U.S.