Eligible students can apply for the 2023 New Jersey Food Council Scholarship Program, which this year will feature 30 scholarships.
Acme Markets/Kings Food Markets have added two additional scholarships of $2,500 each and Inserra Supermarkets has added two Lawrence R. Inserra Memorial Scholarships of $2,500.
“A goal of the New Jersey Food Council is to provide scholarships to students, employees and families of NJFC member companies and staff,” said Linda Doherty, president and CEO of NJFC.
“This program will provide member benefit investment in the future of the food industry and families of NJFC. We’re thrilled to provide four additional scholarships this year.”
This year’s scholarships are as follows:
- NJFC Founders Scholarship – $5,000
- NJFC Student Scholarship – $5,000
- NJFC Thomas Infusino Scholarship – $5,000
- NJFC Scholarships – four scholarships – $2,500 each
- Acme & Kings Scholarship – Acme Markets/Kings Food Markets employees and family members – three scholarships at $2,500 each
- Cuellar Family ShopRites Scholarship – Cuellar employees and family members – $2,500
- Lawrence R. Inserra Memorial Scholarship – Inserra Supermarket employees and family members – one scholarship at $5,000 and two scholarships at $2,500 each
- Glass Gardens ShopRite – team member employed at Glass Gardens – four scholarships – $2,500 each
- Ben Glass Memorial Scholarship – team member employed at Glass Gardens – $5,000
- Abe Glass Memorial Scholarship – team member employed at Glass Gardens – $5,000
- Raymond J. Maniaci Scholarship Program – St. Joseph’s University students majoring in food marketing – $8,000
- Robert Powell Memorial Scholarship – Allegiance employees and family members – $5,000
- QuickChek Corporation Scholarship – QuickChek Corporation employees and family members – $2,500
- Grace Scaduto Memorial Scholarship – Food Circus Supermarkets employees and family members – $2,000
- Wawa Education Scholarships – Wawa employees and family members – two scholarships – $2,500 each
- Whole Foods Market Scholarships – Whole Foods Market team members – four scholarships – $2,500 each
Each scholarship has different requirements. NJFC members and their families can apply for the scholarships at njfoodcouncil.com. All applications are due by April 17.
Selection committees evaluate applications based on applicant’s grades, written essay, letter of recommendation and financial need. Since its inception 13 years ago, 178 students have received scholarships totaling $547,000. This year, that number will increase to 208 students for $644,500.
The New Jersey Food Council is the trade association that represents the $136 billion food distribution network including 1,200 retail food stores, wholesalers, manufacturing and service companies that employs more than 200,000 employees in New Jersey.