Northgate González Market has introduced a new grocery concept store, Mercado González, at 2300 Harbor Blvd. in Costa Mesa, California.
At 70,000 square feet, Mercado González is a gastronomic adventure that takes customers on a journey through Mexican cuisine. With its concept and curated food offerings, design and art, Mercado brings the flavors, colors and spirit of Mexico to a customer’s everyday shopping experience.
“We are thrilled to bring Mercado González to Costa Mesa,” said Oscar González, Northgate Market’s co-president.
“Our store is designed to be a culinary destination where customers can indulge in the flavors of Mexico at our culinary food stands or puestos as we call them in Spanish. We believe Mercado González will become a beloved part of the local community, offering a unique and immersive experience for all who visit.”
Customer experiences at Mercado González include:
- More than 20 Puestos – food stands: Customers will be able to taste churros and seven types of hot chocolate from the Mexico City churreria El Moro, indulge in carnitas at Carnitas Don Miguel, enjoy a Chiva Torta by Familia Albarran and try Tacos Los Guichos from Familia Zenteno.
- Maizano – fine dining: Jorge Salim and Javier Hernandez Pons, the duo from the team behind Los Angeles restaurants LA Cha Cha Chá in Arts District and Loreto in Elysian Valley, are opening a new restaurant in Mercado called Maizano, a concept that will be an homage to revered Mexican culinary and social traditions, and Mexican heirloom corn.
- Artisan goods and Mexican products: Customers will find a trove of artisanal goods, Mexican grocery products, meats, salsas, various cheeses and fresh produce. They can explore the aisles filled with Mexican spices, sauces and ingredients.
- Community Kitchens: Mercado González will support local entrepreneurs by providing the community with a platform to showcase their culinary talents. The community kitchens will offer an opportunity to guide them to get food safety certificates, know how to cost out the inventory and support their overall growth and success.
- Entre Nos Bar: Customers seeking libations can indulge at Entre Nos, a 6,000-square-foot outdoor bar adorned with tropical vegetation.
- Indoor and outdoor seating
Mercado González will also showcase several murals created by renowned Mexican artists from Guadalajara Claudio Limón. As customers explore the store, they will see the hand-painted signage on the puestos and about eight murals.
“The Costa Mesa community is thrilled to welcome Northgate Market into the Harbor Center,” said John Stephens, mayor.
“Once opened, the Mercado will be a destination for the entire region with a fine dining restaurant, a beautiful patio with live music and big screen TVs as well as food stands selling fresh tamales, tortillas, churros and many other favorite Mexican foods. There has never been a place like Northgate Market in Costa Mesa or anywhere else in the world.”
About Northgate Gonzalez Market
Founded in 1980, Northgate González Market is an authentic, family-owned and operated Hispanic supermarket chain with 44 stores in Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Diego counties. Headquartered in Anaheim, California, it maintains its cultural heritage by offering its customers the freshest foods and personalized service. Northgate Market’s commitment to its communities is furthered by the González Reynoso Familia Foundation, by providing scholarships and assisting needy families.
Read more independent store news from The Shelby Report.