Last updated on June 6th, 2016 at 03:12 pm
Authentic Asian flavors are among the top food trends of 2015, and there’s no better time to introduce Asian specialties to shoppers and diners than during the Chinese New Year celebration. That’s according to Los Alamitos, California-based Frieda’s Specialty Produce, which says it is offering retailers a number of Asian specialities to help businesses boost sales during the holiday.
One of the biggest food holidays of the year, Chinese New Year (or Lunar New Year) begins Feb. 19 and runs through March 5. During this 15-day celebration to welcome the Year of the Sheep—a year of friendship and creativity—families and friends will gather over special feasts with foods that symbolize good tidings and blessings for the coming year.
• Wealth and fortune: Kumquats, Mandarinquats, Buddha’s Hand Citron, Daikon and Gai Choy Mustard Green. Also representing wealth are Won Tons and Egg Rolls.
• Good luck: Napa Cabbage and Zululand Queen Baby Pineapple.
• Abundance and prosperity: Pummelo, Oroblanco and Yu Choy Sum.
• Family unity: Chinese Eggplant, Snow Peas, Water Chestnuts and Young Coconut.
• Good health and longevity: Opo Squash, Chinese Long Beans and long noodles like Chow Mein.
“Eastern and southeastern Asian cuisines are vegetable-centric with bold flavors, and that resonates with shoppers and diners who are seeking authenticity as well as healthy food choices,” said Karen Caplan, president and CEO of Frieda’s.
A leader in the specialty Asian produce category since 1973, Frieda’s is working with many clients to build festive in-store promotions during the first weeks of February. In addition to educational resources for produce staff, Frieda’s provides key merchandising recommendations as well as artwork for Chinese New Year POS signage. Interested retailers, wholesalers and food service distributors can contact Frieda’s for promotional ideas, a product list and marketing tools. Also available from Frieda’s are extensive product information, high-resolution images and a recipe database to assist with any marketing needs.