Last updated on October 18th, 2016 at 09:45 am
Coborn’s Inc. has completed a major remodel of its Coborn’s Superstore in Sartell, Minnesota.
The store, located in the Pine Cone Road Market Place, has remained open over the last several months as it underwent renovations to introduce the company’s “next-generation” store format—the first of its kind in the company’s home market. The remodeled store places an enhanced focus on fresh selections in an updated, modern design. The store will continue to operate 24 hours daily. As part of the project, a new Coborn’s Liquor store, formerly inside the Coborn’s Superstore, was built on an adjacent corner of the property and opened in August.
“We are a company that is constantly striving to appeal to the changing needs of our guests,” said Chris Coborn, chairman, president and CEO of Coborn’s Inc. “We are excited to bring our new next-generation Coborn’s store, rebranded as Coborn’s Marketplace, to the community of Sartell and to the surrounding area. This remodeled location introduces the format of the recently opened Coborn’s Marketplace in Isanti, Minnesota, which was the first new store built with the new “next-generation” store design. I think that our guests will be just as excited about this store as we are. It definitely has a ‘wow’ factor about it.”
Store director Chris Schlichting is excited to show off the newly remodeled store.
“The Chop Shoppe is one of my personal favorites,” Schlichting said. “It’s like having your own personal chef, making preparation of fruits and veggies so easy. Our guests select their fruits and vegetables from our Farmer’s Market produce department, then take it to our Chop Shoppe staffers who chop, slice, dice or julienne them to the guests’ preference. Guests can even customize their assortment of produce items for a recipe…or simply pick up an already prepared selection. We’re all about convenience, variety and service.”
With the relocation of Coborn’s Liquor, the grocery store now boasts a footprint of 62,000 s.f. and features boutique-style destinations located throughout the store to showcase the varying fresh departments.
“The presentation of fresh foods and the significant variety and assortment we’ve built into this store is impressive. We want guests to feel eager to come to our store and view it as a well-rounded experience rather than just a routine trip to the grocery store,” Chris Coborn said. “The store really focuses on our fresh, perimeter departments, yet has all the everyday essential grocery items that any guest routinely shops for at a grocery store.”
The store’s focal point includes a new centerpiece deli area called “The Kitchen,” serving made-to-order entrees that are packaged in-store for convenient pickup and quick at-home preparation. Brick-oven fired pizza, sandwiches and other grab-and-go breakfast, lunch and dinner options are just a few of the items guests will find in the Kitchen, in addition to a soup and full salad bar.
Guests also will find expanded produce offerings in the Farmer’s Market, featuring a “Chop Shoppe” with freshly cut fruits and veggies as well as hundreds of fresh organic produce items. Additionally, the Coborn’s Bake Shoppe highlights sweet treats, artisan breads and a rotating assortment of pastries.
The newly expanded Pine Cone Road Meat Market, located inside the store, features a 65-ft. service meat case, the largest in the company, with an assortment of fresh Certified Hereford Beef selections and a new line of “Flavor Seal” packaged fresh meat items. And, with a new in-house Pit Master and smoker, guests can choose from a variety of prepared smoked ribs, chicken, sausage and brisket options.
Other new offerings include:
• The Coborn’s Bake Shoppe, which features a variety of fresh-baked artisan breads and custom cake options. The bakery will have a fresh selection of fresh-baked breads and rolls, Ciabatta rolls and Parisian Fresh bread. Also available are fresh-baked muffins, cookies, bars, old-fashioned pies and cakes decorated by hand or with edible photo imaging. The bakery also specializes in Coborn’s M&M Cookies and Four Brothers Dollar Buns.
• A variety of sushi options available from Sushi Kabar, which will be prepared fresh daily. It is made with only the finest ingredients like medium grain rice, AAA Grade Tuna and high-quality vegetables and sauce varieties.
• The Kitchen, which has a brick oven that bakes pizza over open flames.
• A separate “Flavors of the World” cheese case featuring a variety of domestic and international cheese offerings.
• The Pine Cone Road Milk and Dairy department with an expansive selection of fresh dairy products, complete with a talking cow and a red barn that pays homage to Stearns and Benton County’s rich dairy farming industry.
• An in-store Caribou Coffee shop with in-store seating for dining and conversation as well as a drive-thru to accommodate commuters on the go.
• Click and Collect online shopping. Guests will be able to place their order online by visiting coborns.com, shopping on any mobile or desktop device and have their order waiting for them for pickup at a designated time they’ve chosen.
• A variety of fresh meats smoked in the store and featured at the service meat counter in the Meat Market and Fisherman’s Wharf seafood department, with expanded meat and seafood offerings and a selection of ready-to-cook meals.
• More than a dozen varieties of Four Brothers Signature Smoked sausage as well as smoked briskets, smoked salmon, smoked chicken and smoked ribs, all smoked on sight by a pit master.
• Meals-in-minutes entrees, including premium marinated beef, pork and poultry, kabobs, beef patties and brats, all perfect for grilling.
• Ready-Chef-Go meals, including salmon and asparagus, pork chop and broccoli and other healthy options that can be microwaved in minutes.
• An expanded variety of fresh seafood offerings in the “Fisherman’s Wharf” that includes value-added seafood products, such as Bourbon glazed Salmon on a wood plank, crab stuffed cod, lobster stuffed Norwegian Salmon and more. The store’s sustainable fresh flight seafood program features several seafood items that were in the ocean just yesterday.
• Expanded “Simply Natural” Meat selection consisting of Full Circle grass-fed beef and pork, Just Bare poultry and grass-fed bison, lamb and veal. All these protein items will be considered Never Ever, meaning they will never be administered antibiotics or given added hormones.
In addition, Coborn’s first supermarket registered dietitian, Ashley Kibutha, now works out of the Pine Cone Road location. Her office is located next to the pharmacy, allowing the dietitian and the pharmacist to partner in consultations for patients with special dietary needs. Kibutha also is available to all guests to answer questions and provide education about healthy diets and nutrition. Additionally, the store will continue to offer the NuVal nutritional scoring system, which allows guests to easily see the nutritional value of the food they are buying, right on the price tag. The system scores food on a scale of 1 to 100. The higher the NuVal score, the better the nutrition.
The in-store pharmacy, managed by Janel Burling, will offer complete pharmacy services, including immunizations, medication therapy management and drive-thru.
St. Cloud-based Coborn’s Inc. is employee-owned and operates 55 stores across Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin under the Coborn’s, Cash Wise Foods, Marketplace Foods and Save-A-Lot banners. Coborn’s Inc. also owns CobornsDelivers, an online grocery ordering and home delivery service, and stand-alone convenience, liquor and pharmacy locations. To support its 120 retail locations, Coborn’s Inc. operates its own central bakery, gluten-free bakery, dry cleaning facility and grocery distribution center.