The Alabama Grocers Education Foundation held its 24th annual fall golf outing on Thursday at Inverness Country Club in Birmingham. The tournament included two flights and raised funds for the Alabama Grocers Association’s Education Foundation, which funds scholarships to employees and children of employees of Alabama Grocers Association companies. To date, the foundation has awarded more than $1 million because of the support of association members at golf tournaments like the one last week.
The winners of the Oct. 20 tourney were:
• Morning first place team: Bill Davis, A&R Supermarkets; Joe Cribbs, NFLPA; Steve Mulford, Royal Foods; and John Gross, Mrs. Stratton’s Salads.
• Morning second place team: Robert Bass, Roland Bass, Steve Freeman and Rufus Taylor, Barber’s Dairy.
• Morning third place team: Robert Gamble, Jeff Bolas and Brett Maddox, Bunzl Distribution; and Jai Freeman, Freeman Foods.
• Morning closest to the pin: Nate Stephens, Southgroup.
• Morning longest drive: Keith Raines, United-Johnson Brothers of Alabama.
• Afternoon first place team: Darwin Metcalf and Steve Shelton, Western Markets; and Vernon Price, Supervalu.
• Afternoon second place team: Webb Chastain, Merrill Lynch; Lee Maellelan, Fellowship of Christian Athletes; Chip Harden, Bank of America; and Alex Hosnik, First Trust.
• Afternoon third place team: Todd Dorn, Associated Wholesale Grocers; and Ward Ragland, Dale Owen and Chad Calvert, Ragland Brothers Retail Cos.
• Afternoon closest to the pin: Ben Peake, Peake & Associates.
• Afternoon longest drive: Brayden Bell, Moore’s Marinade.
The tourney’s 2016 presenting sponsor was Barber’s Dairy. Additional sponsors included 5-hour Energy, A&R Supermarkets, Advantage Solutions/Palermo’s, Associated Grocers of the South, Associated Wholesale Grocers Gulf Coast Division, Associated Wholesale Grocers Nashville Division, Bevco Beverages, Bimbo Bakeries, Buffalo Rock/Pepsi, Bunzl Distribution/Pactiv, Bunzl Distribution/Sigma Films, Coca-Cola Bottling Co. United Inc., Dutch Farms, Flowers Baking Co., Freeman Foods, Frito-Lay, Golden Flake Snack Foods, Ice Cream Specialists, Lighting Specialists Inc., Merrill Lynch, Mitchell Grocery Corp., Mrs. Stratton’s Salads, Peake & Associates, Piggly Wiggly Alabama Distributing Co., Priceville Foodland, Publix Super Markets, Red Diamond, Snyder’s-Lance, Supervalu, Talton Communications, United-Johnson Brothers of Alabama and Wells Enterprises.
The next Alabama Grocers Education Foundation golf tournament fundraiser will be held on April 6, 2017, at Inverness County Club in Birmingham.
Alabama’s Food Industry Finest Luncheon is Oct. 26
In other Alabama Grocers Association news, the group will host the Alabama’s Food Industry Finest Luncheon at The Club in Birmingham on Wednesday, beginning at 10 a.m.
The event will include the state’s best bagger contest and a keynote address from Dr. Kevin Elko. The luncheon also will feature Speaker of the Alabama House Rep. Mac McCutcheon and Secretary of State John Merrill.
In addition, the association will present its Retailer, Wholesaler and Vendor of the Year awards.
This year’s Retailer of the Year is Naseem Ajlouny of Buy-Lo Quality Foods, Wholesaler of the Year is Jack Carlile of Supervalu and Vendor of the Year is Johnny Collins of Barber’s Dairy.