The Bi-Lo, Fresco y Más, Harveys and Winn-Dixie grocery banners, all owned by Southeastern Grocers (SEG), are merging their own brand products into a single, uniform brand featuring a new label. It allows SEG to provide more value, choice and differentiation to its customers, according to the Jacksonville, Florida-based company.
SEG calls the move the company’s “largest-ever transformation of private label product,” spanning approximately 3,000 items in all categories. To date, SEG has tested more than 2,330 own brand items, which led to improved quality reformulations on more than 2,260 products, and over the next year, the rollout across all stores will provide superior quality, greater value and differentiation to customers without increasing the price, according to the grocery chain.
SEG President and CEO Ian McLeod said, “Not only are we transforming by investing in our stores and in lower prices, but we are also investing in the quality of our products. I am pleased to announce our largest-ever program of product development, with the launch of three new and refreshed Southeastern Grocers brands—SE Grocers Essentials, SE Grocers and Prestige.
“By purchasing new Southeastern Grocers own brand items, customers will enjoy known brand quality at own brand price savings between 20 percent and 30 percent on their groceries…and if you don’t agree, then you can have the own brand product on us. We are committed to providing quality products to our customers,” he added.
Details of the three new brands
• SE Grocers Essentials: These “offer honest, everyday value for all customers looking for reliable, budget household basics.”
• SE Grocers: These were “developed to quality benchmarks as close to, if not better than, the taste and quality currently offered by the established brands already in the market but at lower prices.”
• Prestige: This line includes a “selection of specialty and indulgent products at a price that is still affordable.”
To improve the overall quality of its own brand products, SEG developed a test kitchen and sensory lab tasting facility at its Florida headquarters. The SEG Sensory Lab has been utilized to conduct both product development and consumer taste-testing trials during the past year to capture insights on the company’s own brand product line.
Some of the new and improved products that will land on the shelf this month include:
• SE Grocers Popcorn: Cheddar, White Cheddar, Salt & Black Pepper, and Sea Salt.
• Prestige Popcorn: Caramel and Chicago Mix.
• SE Grocers Potato Chips: 21 varieties, including traditional favorites like Regular and Sea Salt, along with unique flavors like Jamaican Jerk, Sriracha Wavy, Dill Pickle, Ranch, Chile Limon and Maui Onion.
• SE Grocers Essentials: 107 products will land on shelves through February.
More than 2,280 products have no artificial colors; more than 2,160 products have no artificial flavors; more than 2,650 products have no added MSG; more than 2,640 products have no trans fat; and more than 2,240 products have no high fructose corn syrup.