African-American women have a 41 percent greater chance of dying from breast cancer than white women, although white women have a higher incidence of the disease, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information.
To address this disparity, Schnuck Markets Inc. is teaming with the Pink Ribbon Girls of St. Louis and Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis to encourage women in underserved communities in the St. Louis area to get mammograms.
As part of the “Treasure Your Chest” program, the first 1,500 mammogram clients living in one of 21 select zip codes of north St. Louis County and north St. Louis City can receive a $50 Schnucks gift card along with other resources to promote healthy living and eating choices.
“Along with our partners at the Pink Ribbon Girls and the Urban League, Schnucks is answering the challenge and striving to make the communities we call home better,” said Schron Jackson, Schnucks director of community engagement and customer care.
“Working together we can change the landscape, and over time, provide a meaningful impact on those devastating statistics that show breast cancer disproportionately affects women in underserved areas of St. Louis – that includes where Schnucks was founded 82 years ago and continues serving today.”
To receive the $50 gift card, participants must:
- Register for the “Treasure Your Chest” program by visiting the Pink Ribbon Girls website at pinkribbongirls.org/st-louis-missouri. Residents of eligible zip codes will then be mailed a voucher;
- Schedule a mammogram anytime, anywhere; and
- Bring the voucher and the letter received after the appointment from the mammogram provider to a “Treasure Your Chest” event at one of two local Schnucks stores (locations, dates and times listed at pinkribbongirls.org) or visit the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis at one of the following locations during normal business hours to receive the gift card:
- Urban League Regional Headquarters – 1408 N. Kingshighway Blvd., St. Louis, Missouri 63113;
- Urban League St. Louis County Operations – 8960 Jennings Station Road, Jennings, Missouri 63136;
- Urban League Ferguson Community Empowerment Center – 9420 West Florissant Ave., Ferguson, Missouri 63136; and
- Urban League Peter Bunce Campus – 2125 Bissell St., St. Louis, Missouri 63107.
“We are thrilled to partner with Schnucks and the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis to help encourage women to make their health a priority,” said Cory Smallwood, regional director of Pink Ribbon Girls. “We hope that the Treasure your Chest campaign will inspire women to schedule a mammogram because we know mammograms can save lives.”
“We are honored to partner with Schnucks and Pink Ribbon Girls to help increase the opportunity for high-risk women to receive a mammogram,” said Michael P. McMillan, Urban League president and CEO. “Many of the clients seeking services from the Urban League are female, heads of household so if they have a health emergency, the entire household suffers. This is life-changing for the woman and her family.”
Eligible zip codes:
- St. Louis County: 63132, 63133, 63134, 63135, 63136 63137,63140, 63147, 63143, 63033, 63034, 63044, 63074; and
- St. Louis City: 63101, 63106, 63107,63112, 63113, 63115, 63120, 63121, 63136, 63147.