Houston-based Sysco Co. has announced the launch of its 2022 Sustainability Report and the company’s first Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Report.
“Sustainability is an integral part of our business strategy, called the Recipe For Growth, to ensure we are growing responsibly and purposefully,” said Neil Russell, SVP of corporate affairs and chief communications officer. “We are proud of the actions we are taking today to build a more sustainable future for Sysco and for our industry.”
Highlights of the report include:
- Committing to purchase nearly 800 electric tractors to support the company’s goal of electrifying 35 percent of its U.S. fleet by 2030,
- Donating nearly 16 million meals globally,
- Advancing the company’s commitment to 100 percent renewable electricity by installing a new solar array at its Harlow site in the UK and announcing new solar farm projects in Sysco Canada,
- Awarding ranchers $2.5 million in grants through the Southern Plains Grassland Program to invest in sustainable grazing practices and wildlife habitats, and
- Strengthening commitment to sustainability and DEI by tying executive compensation to key metrics.
“The new DEI Report takes a deeper look into our strategic approach to DEI and commitment to caring for people,” said Adrienne Trimble, VP and chief diversity and culture officer.
“Since accelerating our DEI efforts in early 2020, we’ve developed a three-year roadmap to guide our DEI journey as we embed our strategic priorities throughout the business and achieve our DEI goals.”
Sysco achieved 62 percent ethnic and gender diversity in its U.S. workforce ahead of the company’s 2025 goal and increased spend with certified diverse suppliers by about 8 percent. The company has established a cross-functional task force to develop new workforce representation goals due to the recent achievement of the current 2025 workforce goal.
Sysco sells, markets and distributes food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers who prepare meals away from home. Its family of products also includes equipment and supplies for the foodservice and hospitality industries. With more than 71,000 employees, the company operates 333 distribution facilities worldwide and serves about 700,000 customer locations.
Information about its sustainability program can be found at sysco.com.