Landover, Maryland-based Giant Food has announced the release of its third annual Better Neighbor Report, which spotlights the company’s work to serve customers, support employees and provide transparency about its commitment to the greater D.C., Maryland and Virginia region.
“For more than 87 years, serving our communities means doing our part. As a local business providing essential services for our communities, we recognize our great responsibility to not only our customers, but also our associates,” said Ira Kress, president.
“The Better Neighbor Report documents our work from 2022, though we know our job is never done and we will continue to build on our commitment to transparency, serving our customers and supporting our associates.”
Highlights from the report include:
- Donated about 4.8 million pounds of food totaling nearly four million meals provided to Giant’s Feeding America food bank partners;
- Donated $1.1 million to the USO National Capital District through a combined effort of Giant and its customers to support local service members and their families;
- Raised more than $2.2 million through the Annual Pediatric Cancer Fundraising Program benefiting the Children’s Cancer Foundation and John Hopkins Oncology Department;
- Donated $881,000 to six local organizations working to eliminate health and economic disparities;
- Volunteered 2,430 hours at Giant’s Feeding America food bank partners and local organizations; and
- Deployed two new fully electric vehicles to serve customers, providing zero emissions and quieter operations.
Better place to shop
- More than 900 healthy living classes and events hosted by the Giant Healthy Living team;
- Reached 34,129 adults and children with nutrition education through 840 hours of time;
- Provided more than 750,000 vaccines through 153 Giant Pharmacy locations and Giant’s mobile unit that hosted 1,642 community clinics for underserved and high-risk populations;
- Expanded Giant’s telehealth services to increase access to medical professionals and access to diagnostic testing for convenient and expanded care;
- Launched virtual consults with Giant’s pharmacist team to provide virtual medication therapy management consultations to patients to improve overall medication adherence and offer immunization check-ins; and
- Partnered with 150 local vendors to offer more than 1,000 local products, and partnered with 80 local farms.
Better place to work
- Earned 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index for the fourth consecutive year for efforts in LGBTQ+ workplace equality;
- Provided $118,000 in scholarships and grants awarded to 37 employees or their children;
- Named one of The Washington Post’s Top Places to Work 2022;
- Launched a companywide #HealthyAtWork challenge where 12 employees received free fruits and vegetables for a year;
- Offered all employees three times the flexible rewards points on food purchases; and
- Celebrated top performing leadership members and associates through 73 Presidential Awards for Top Values in motion winners, seven “Top Women in Grocery” award recipients and nine Women of Influencer winners.
For more information on Giant Food, visit giantfood.com/community.