Campbell’s has released its 2023 State of the Sides, a food-focused report on holiday trends, top side dishes and new recipes.
In addition, chocolatier Phillip Ashley has released a Holiday Sides Collection, a six-piece, soup-infused set of truffles inspired by Campbell’s holiday recipes.
Campbell’s ‘State of the Sides’ report
From traditional tastes to trending flavors, the 2023 “State of the Sides” online report surveyed 5,000 consumers (100 per state) who celebrate Thanksgiving to hear what recipes will be on their tables and how side dishes continue to overtake the popularity of the traditional main course.
Findings from the survey include:
- Sixty-seven percent prefer side dishes to the entrée, which is up by one percent from last year’s report.
- The most popular side dishes this year are mashed potatoes, stuffing/dressing, mac and cheese, yams/sweet potatoes and green bean casserole.
- Sides help make a meal unique – 66 percent say that sides are a way to bring cultural heritage to the Thanksgiving table.
- Nearly six in 10 Americans will celebrate Friendsgiving in 2023.
Holiday Sides Truffle Collection
“Sides season just got even sweeter,” said Marci Raible, VP of integrated marketing.
“From Green Bean Casserole to Mac and Cheese, we’re excited for the drop of the new Holiday Sides Collection, which highlights the many recipes that feature our iconic can and spark menu inspiration for holiday hosts this season.”
The collection includes:
- Green Bean Casserole – Per the State of the Sides, this truffle brings out the flavors of the dish by featuring Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom condensed soup, green beans and onion-infused sea salt in a dark chocolate fudge bonbon.
- Jalapeño Cheddar Mac and Cheese – This truffle features Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese soup, triple cream Brie and jalapeño-infused white chocolate ganache in a blond chocolate bonbon.
- Baked Corn Casserole – Composed of cornbread, sweet corn and Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup, it comes in a white chocolate bonbon.
- Hot Honey Mashed Sweet Potatoes – In a chocolate bonbon this features sweet potatoes, thyme, local Memphis hot honey, Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup and milk.
- Everything Bagel Mashed Potatoes – This truffle features a Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese soup caramel coated in a dark chocolate bonbon with everything bagel seasoning.
- Apple, Fennel and Herb Stuffing – With roasted apples, fennel and Campbell’s Cream of Celery Soup bread pudding, it comes in a blond chocolate bonbon.
“Creating out-of-the-box chocolate flavors that are delicious and tell a story is a true passion of mine,” Ashley said.
“There are so many stories that come from celebrating the holidays with loved ones. It has been an honor to create this new collection inspired by Campbell’s essential side dishes that every holiday dinner table should include.”
The Holiday Sides Collection is available to purchase for $35 while supplies last on PhillipAshleyChocolates.com.
About the State of the Sides Report
The survey was conducted by market research company OnePoll, in accordance with the Market Research Society’s code of conduct. Data was collected from July 25-Aug. 3.
It was overseen by the OnePoll research team, which is a member of the MRS and has corporate membership with the American Association for Public Opinion Research.
Read more center store news from The Shelby Report.