Tedeschi Family, Tedeschi’sRalph, Nick, Etta, Will and Bob Tedesci
The Tedeschi family name has been a mainstay in supermarkets and convenience stores for more than 50 years and the Tedeschi family has operated their businesses with a commitment to their employees, community, and family.
A third generation family business, the roots of the family in retail date back to when Angelo Tedeschi came to the United States, and the family settled in Rockland, MA, still home today of the corporate headquarters. Angelo was working in a shoe factory in 1923 when he started a meat and provisions business out of the basement of his home.
Angelo eventually opened a store and had five children – Ralph, Nick, Etta, Will and Bob, all of whom worked in the store. After the Second World War, Ralph opened his first supermarket in Rockland, and Ralph’s brothers and brother-in-law Charlie Fitzgibbons, Sr. joined him in the business and developed the Tedeschi Supermarket chain, which later sold to Stop & Shop in 1960.
Four years later, the family began Angelo’s Supermarkets, a trademark name on the South Shore in Massachusetts. Named after the family patriarch, it became the leading supermarket chain in Plymouth and Barnstable Counties. Supermarkets were closed on Sundays, and the family recognized the opportunity for convenience stores to fill the gap and provide fill-in grocery shopping.
The company purchased Curtis Farms Supermarkets in 1972, which included 25 convenience store locations, and grew to over 200 stores with the acquisition of Lil Peach and Store 24.
Growth has not diminished the family nature of the business.