Last updated on August 16th, 2012 at 12:06 pm
New Year’s resolutions come and go, so start 2012 with easy and realistic habits that are smart for your health and wallet. Discount grocer Aldi offers shoppers a variety of health- and budget-conscious products under its exclusive Fit & Active line to make it easy and affordable to stay on track this year.
“Our Fit & Active line includes products that are lower in fat, lower in calories or with reduced sodium,” said Chuck Youngstrom, president of Aldi. “And with up to 50 percent savings over national brands, these products help Aldi customers make smart choices not just for the New Year, but every day.”
With more than 50 Fit & Active products, the line consists of a range of foods and beverages including:
• Fit & Active Smoked & Cured Turkey Bacon: There’s a way to improve the flavor of smoked and cured bacon—make it with 65 percent less fat and no trans fat when compared to regular pork bacon.
• Fit & Active Strawberry Nonfat Yogurt: Bits of strawberry are swirled into yogurt for a treat, at 100 calories and 0 grams of fat.
• Fit & Active Light String Cheese: With 2.5 grams of fat and 25 percent fewer calories than regular string cheese, it’s an ideal addition to lunch or snacks on the go.
• Fit & Active 51% Whole Grain Spaghetti: Whole grain gives it bite, with no cholesterol or preservatives.
• Fit & Active Original Organic Soymilk: Certified USDA organic and a source of 10 vitamins, minerals and protein, as well as lactose-, gluten-, and cholesterol-free at 90 calories per serving.
• Fit & Active Egg Substitute: 99 percent real egg product, cholesterol- and fat-free with 0 grams of trans fat, along with 6 grams of protein and only 30 calories per serving.
The Fit & Active line includes green tabs on the front of each package called “Fit Facts,” which highlight the amount of calories, fat, sugar and sodium contained in each serving of food.
Aldi also recently partnered with the USDA MyPlate program to educate shoppers about how to build a healthy plate. Products like those found in the Fit & Active line and features such as “Fit Facts” support MyPlate education efforts on portion control, according to an Aldi news release.