The Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board has launched a new website dedicated to All Things Mac and Cheese. All Things Mac and Cheese includes more than 100 recipes that range from simple stovetop variations to creative gourmet options. Home cooks can find recipes for a range of any add-in ingredient they have on hand, whether it’s seasonal vegetables, sausage, bacon or seafood. The eclectic collection includes recipes such as Crab & Asiago Mac and Cheese; Monte Cristo Mac and Cheese Nuggets; and Raclette Mac and Cheese.
A tips section offers information for mastering the art of mac and cheese with preparation and cooking advice.
“Home cooks are passionate about their mac and cheese, and the possibilities are endless,” said Heather Porter Engwall, director of national product communications for the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. “It’s a wonderful way to showcase the many varieties of Wisconsin Cheese, and we are excited to share this collection of recipes with mac and cheese enthusiasts everywhere.”
New recipes will be added to the site every month. January’s featured collection is “Wisconsin Style”—recipes created by Wisconsin food bloggers and home cooks, including Creamy Four Cheese Mac with Bacon. The recipe, created by Jean Kriesel, was a finalist at the Milwaukee Mac and Cheeze Takedown last October.
“I can’t tell you how many times I have shared this recipe since then,” Kriesel said. “I was even asked to make it for Christmas dinner. It’s making the rounds, and that makes me happy because it really celebrates the use of dairy products.”
Creamy Four Cheese Mac with Bacon
Recipe by Jean Kriesel, courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
This extra creamy recipe incorporates Sharp Cheddar, Colby Jack, Mozzarella and Parmesan. The noodles are cooked in chicken broth for extra flavor.
• 1 pound medium shell pasta
• 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
• 1 pound bacon, cooked
• 5 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons onion, minced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup flour
• 2 cups heavy cream
• 8 ounces Wisconsin Cream Cheese, cut into cubes
• 1 teaspoon Montreal chicken seasoning
• 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
• 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Provolone Cheese, shredded
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• Preheat oven to 350°F.
• In large pot, cook pasta in chicken broth until al dente, according to package directions. Reserving broth, drain pasta. Pour pasta into buttered 9×13-inch baking dish. Crumble bacon over pasta.
• While pasta is cooking, prepare sauce. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt 5 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Slowly whisk in whipping cream and stir constantly until thickened. Add cream cheese, onion, garlic and Montreal chicken seasoning. Stir for 2 minutes until cream cheese melts down. Slowly add in 3 cups of reserved chicken broth.
• Lower heat and continue stirring. Add shredded cheese 1 cup at a time. Keep stirring until sauce is smooth. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and bacon. Gently mix sauce so all pasta is covered.
• Bake 20-30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly.
In the feature photo at top is Creamy Four Cheese Mac with Bacon.