Last updated on June 4th, 2015 at 04:15 pm
The first 7-Eleven store located inside a U.S. airport terminal, at Los Angeles’ International Airport (LAX), is making its debut. 7-Eleven, Westfield and LS travel retail North America, the concessionaire operating this new location, will hold a grand opening from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. June 24.
7-Eleven’s 950-s.f. inaugural U.S. airport terminal location is in the pre-security arrivals level of the Tom Bradley International Terminal. The Dallas, Texas-based convenience store chain says the airport location features products and services tailored to travelers and airport employees.
The “captain” for the new store is Tim Montalbano, area manager for LS travel retail, who employs a full-time team supervisor plus a crew of six full-time and two part-time staffers for this store.
“With a post-security environment that rivals some of the world’s best airports in design, dining, retail and amenities, we are pleased to begin debuting the next phase of the new Tom Bradley International Terminal within the pre-security area,” said Keith Kaplan, Westfield’s VP of development. “We are confident this 7-Eleven concept will enhance the experience of arriving travelers, the throngs of people who wait to meet and greet them and thousands of LAX employees.”
Added Vadim Motlik, chief development officer at LS travel retail North America, “We are proud to count 7-Eleven as one of our brand partners and to be opening their first-ever location in a U.S. airport. As the ultimate leader in the convenience market, 7-Eleven will perfectly meet the needs of our LAX customers. Both 7-Eleven and Westfield are committed to providing the best shopping experiences, and we will continue to work closely with their teams to keep delivering on this promise.”
For arriving travelers as well as airline and airport employees, the LAX 7-Eleven store’s product mix of fresh and hot foods, beverages, snacks, travel-size personal care products and non-food items is tailored specifically for them, according to 7-Eleven.
“We believe visitors and airport employees will be pleasantly surprised at how many of their travel and everyday needs 7-Eleven can fill in just under 1,000 square feet,” said Norm Hower, 7-Eleven’s zone leader for the greater Los Angeles area. “Just as with every 7-Eleven, we customize and cross-check each store’s product mix to offer what our customers want. Travelers and those in the travel industry have needs for products you might not find at a neighborhood 7-Eleven. Whether they are arriving at their final destination or in the middle of a work shift, we look forward to serving the thousands who come through Tom Bradley International Terminal every day.”
Items that can be found in the store include:
• Hot food: 7-Eleven’s galley offers hot pizza, both whole and by the slice; chicken wings and tenders; Go-Go Taquitos; nachos and mini-tacos; Doritos Loaded; breakfast sandwiches and empanadas; and Big Bite hot dogs, including a bacon-wrapped version as well as an L.A. favorite, The Dodger Dog, the same 10-inch long frankfurter that is wrapped in a steam bun and sold at Dodger Stadium, but for $2.11. 7-Eleven is the only retailer selling this hot dog outside of the stadium.
• Fresh-made-daily sandwiches: Italian Sub, Cranberry Chicken Salad, American foot-long sub, Chicken Bacon Ranch Melt and Smoked Turkey and Cheese; entree and side salads; fresh-cut fruit like apples, pineapple, strawberries, grapes, kiwi and mango; and fresh veggies and an accompanying dip.
• Fresh snacks: Hummus, guacamole and yogurt parfaits.
• Baked goods: Both fresh and packaged, including Cinnabon Gooey Bites.
• Snacks and more snacks: Granola, energy and protein bars, chips, crackers, nuts, trail mix, pretzels, cookies, cereal, candy, gum and 7-Eleven’s own 7-Select premium snacks and beef jerky.
• Beverages: Slurpee and Big Gulp beverages; coffee and tea, both hot and iced, along with hot chocolate and cappuccino drinks; and energy drinks, sports drinks, juice, lemonade, bottled tea and coffee drinks, smoothies, soft drinks, milk, water and more.
• Publications, personal care and more: Visitors to the store will find 18 travel-sized items. The store also offers over-the-counter motion sickness, stomach acid and allergy relief medications as well as a variety of the most popular magazines and newspapers.
The new store’s color palette and finishes were specifically selected to highlight 7-Eleven’s fresh food, which is made in local kitchens and delivered to the store daily.
The store is open from 6 a.m.-midnight.