The Jewel-Osco 21st Annual “Celebrating Black History” kickoff event on Jan. 30 “ truly was electric,” according to company officials. It was held at the store located at 1655 E. 95th Street in Chicago. Events also were held on different dates at other Chicago locations and the Homewood Jewel-Osco.
The events featured:
- Tastings from more than 30 local, minority-owned businesses on Jewel-Osco shelves, from Lock’s BBQ Sauce to Grandma Maud’s to Reggio’s Pizza to Goode Foods;
- Live music from Greg Penn and Crosswind Jazz;
- A $2,000 charitable contribution to By The Hand organization. By The Hand is a Chicago-based, after-school program that emphasizes academic excellence while nurturing the whole child—mind, body and soul;
- A visit from Alderman Greg Mitchellto personally interact and show appreciation for the community;
- Appearances from Chicago Bears Alumni Otis Wilson and Alex Brown; and
- Activities for families including a stilt walker and line dancing group with DJ.
More information can be found on this event here.