Topco Associates LLC honored members who demonstrated exceptional program partnership and commitment in 2019 during its recent annual membership conference in Palm Springs, California.
Based in Elk Grove, Illinois, Topco is a more than $14 billion, privately held, member-owned company that provides aggregation, innovation and knowledge management solutions for its leading food industry member-owners and customers, including grocery retailers, wholesalers and food service companies.
The following are the 2019 award winners:
- Hy-Vee Inc.—Greatest Overall Purchase Volume: Topco honored Hy-Vee with one of its highest awards. In 2019, Hy-Vee led all members in overall purchases. A member of the Topco Board of Directors since 2003 and an active member for 20 years, this is the 15th consecutive year in which Hy-Vee has achieved this honor, demonstrating an outstanding commitment to growth and driving best-in-class results.
- K-VA-T Food Stores Inc.—Greatest Overall Purchase Penetration: Topco also presented K-VA-T Food Stores with one of its highest achievement awards. In 2019, K-VA-T achieved outstanding engagement in Topco programs, surpassing all members in overall purchase penetration. In addition to its 2019 accomplishment, K-VA-T has achieved this impressive designation for the 16th year in a row, demonstrating an unparalleled commitment to partnering for growth across Topco’s membership.
- Associated Food Stores Inc.—Greatest Dollar Growth, All Programs: In 2019, Associated Food Stores continued its expansion within pharmacy, dairy and indirect spend. It also saw significant dollar growth of the Food Club brand. This is the third consecutive year that AFS has received this award.
- Schnuck Markets Inc.—Greatest Percentage Growth, All Programs: Schnucks achieved impressive growth across the Topco Brand portfolio including produce, center store and fresh meat, with significant growth in the beef category.
- Big Y Foods Inc.—Greatest Dollar Growth, Fresh: Big Y grew its fresh dollar purchases with significant growth in fresh meat, branded meat and produce.
- Brookshire Holdings Inc.—Greatest Percentage Growth, Fresh: Brookshire grew its total fresh purchases by leveraging Topco programs with new purchases in avocados, beef cuts, sausage and bacon.
- SpartanNash Co.—Greatest Dollar Growth, Value-Add: In 2019, SpartanNash significantly expanded participation in Topco’s Pharmacy program, with the majority of its growth coming from Branded Rx.
- Alex Lee Inc.—Greatest Percentage Growth, Value-Add: In 2019, the team from Alex Lee achieved best in class percentage growth by unlocking value through increased commitment in Topco Fuel and Indirect Spend programs.
- URM Stores Inc.—Greatest Dollar Growth, Center Store: By focusing on selling compelling Own Brands to independent grocers, URM achieved greatest dollar growth in center store through new expansion in Topco program dairy categories, as well as significant additional purchase growth in eggs and cheese.
- Affiliated Foods Inc.—Greatest Percentage Growth, Center Store: In 2019, AFI–Amarillo grew its Topco program in center store and increased its participation in Topco’s dairy program including fresh eggs.
In addition, the following members were honored for their milestone anniversaries:
- Meijer, Inc.—65 years;
- Pueblo, Inc.—50 years;
- Associated Grocers Inc.—40 years;
- K-VA-T Food Stores, Inc.—25 years;
- Hy-Vee, Inc.—20 years;
- Brookshire Holdings Inc.—15 years;
- C&S Wholesale Grocers Inc.—15 years; and
- Southeastern Grocers LLC—15 years.