Chloe Vegan Foods has launched a full line of plant-based pizzas, currently available chain-wide at 344 Sprouts Farmers Markets stores in 23 U.S. states. Each is all plant-based, non-GMO and 100 percent free of the most pervasive and troublesome allergens.
Chloe is headquartered in Edina, Minnesota, and manufactures its products in an FDA- and USDA-approved facility.
A highlight of the Chloe Vegan Foods products is a leap forward in the quality, flavor, texture and behavior of the patent-pending, cauliflower-based cheese. In addition to flavor immediately reminiscent of the real thing, Chloe cheese shreds and melts like dairy-based cheese, the company says.
When co-founder Wendy Hinnenkamp and her husband discovered their young daughter Chloe suffered from Eosinophilic Esophagitis—a condition that makes it dangerous, even deadly, to eat certain foods—they set out to develop a line of products Chloe could eat safely, provide nutrition and allow her to eat the same foods as her family. They needed products without the foods commonly associated with food allergies (milk, wheat, soy, egg, nuts and fish).
The Hinnenkamps found 40-year culinary veteran and award-winning chef Robert Velarde, who embarked on a multi-year mission to develop what became these Chloe products. Along the way, as consumers became more interested in a healthier diet, Velarde challenged himself further to create products that so rivaled the flavor of their traditional counterparts that people couldn’t tell the difference. He and the Hinnenkamps also found motivation in contributing to a healthier planet, as vegan foods require far fewer natural resources to grow and manufacture than do traditional foods like beef and poultry.
Chloe Vegan Foods’ five pizzas and crust two-pack include:
- Cheese: A gluten-free crust with the Chloe tomato sauce and abundant dairy-free cheddar and mozzarella-style shredded cheese.
- Italian Sausage: A blend of beans, beets, peppers, mushrooms and loads of natural spices fill in for the sausage, all atop a vegetable-infused crust. Add sauce and Chloe vegan mozzarella and cheddar-style cheese shreds.
- Pepperoni: Mushrooms, oil and spices replace conventional pepperoni, with Chloe tomato sauce, dairy-free cheddar and mozzarella-style shredded cheese on a vegetable-infused crust.
- Margherita: This is a blend of dairy-free cheddar and mozzarella-style shredded cheese, olive oil, garlic, basil and diced tomatoes, all atop a Chloe vegetable-infused crust.
- Mediterranean: Diced red peppers, artichoke hearts, yellow onion and black olives meld with Chloe tomato sauce and dairy-free cheddar. Topped with mozzarella-style shredded cheese on a vegetable-infused crust.
- Pizza Crust Two-Pack: Made with broccoli, cabbage, carrots, kale and cauliflower—gluten-free and free from the top allergens. Finish the pie just the way you like it.
Chloe also will offer branded shredded vegan cheese and meatless pepperoni and meatless sausage.
“We really feel we’ve moved plant -based pizza a significant notch up on the flavor continuum,” said Wendy Hinnenkamp. “And it’s gratifying, because we started out to help Chloe and ended up helping the entire planet.”
The Hinnenkamp family has made it their mission to create awareness for Eosinophilic Esophagitis and to help families address the dietary needs of children by developing a line of vegan pizzas and related products. Their goal, too, was to offer products far more flavorful than what was currently available.
The Chloe Vegan Foods logo is Chloe’s handwriting. It’s her signature of approval on every box.