As 2021 continued throwing curveballs, one thing remained steady – consumers’ love of beef. In fact, according to CattleFax, beef demand is the highest it has been in 33 years. In the new year, the Beef Checkoff is putting the spotlight on some of the recipes and beef trends that rose in popularity this year, and what beef lovers can expect to see in 2022.
The trends of 2021
- Meatloaf – Much like the sourdough bread baking rage of 2020, the traditional and comforting flavors of meatloaf have spiked in popularity during the pandemic. Classic Beef Meatloaf leads the list of most viewed dinner recipes on BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com for is preparation ease, affordability and number of servings it yields. A variety of nostalgic recipes like meatloaf may be found on the website, plus beef recipes for every occasion.
- Birria Tacos – An authentic Mexican dish made up of beef, consommé, cheese and tortillas, Birria Tacos took the internet by storm. For an easy way to recreate the trending dish, these Chipotle Tacos have the same beefy, adobo flavor. Just dip the tacos in the cooking liquid and give them a quick sear for that same Birria style.
- Popular on social media – Foodies scrolling through social media all have at least one thing in common: They enjoy a good cooking video. Whether it was grilling Tomahawk steak like Chef Rasheed Philips on TikTok, or seeing a beef roast come off the smoker with a perfect smoke ring and so tender it cuts like butter, social media is a hotspot for finding new recipes.
What’s next in 2022
- Healthy recipes – Home cooking and healthy habits were big in 2021 and the trends are expected to continue this year. Beef’s versatility means there are a variety of lean cuts to choose from, and beef pairs perfectly with vegetables for a protein-packed meal that can provide immunity-boosting benefits. Classic Beef Stuffed Peppers and Beef Confetti Taco Salad are just a few of the many recipes that make sticking to a new year’s resolution easy.
- Cook once, eat twice – Life is hard enough, but quick meals that leave you with leftovers make things a little easier. This Easy Roast Beef Potluck Rolls recipe makes for the perfect weeknight meal, and there will be plenty to save for another night. Or, to turn leftovers into a completely new dish, enjoy a roast one night and save the leftovers for Cuban Crispy Shredded Beef later in the week.
- Beef on any budget – Whether it’s a special occasion or a regular weeknight meal, beef’s versatility means there’s something for everyone. For those on a budget, ground beef, chuck steak, chuck roast and top round steak are all options with big flavor. Explore more beef cuts and find easy budget-friendly roast swaps on BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com.
The Beef Checkoff was established as part of the 1985 Farm Bill. The checkoff assesses $1 per head on the sale of live domestic and imported cattle, in addition to a comparable assessment on imported beef and beef products. States may retain up to 50 cents on the dollar and forward the other 50 cents per head to the Cattlemen’s Beef Promotion and Research Board, which administers the national checkoff program, subject to USDA approval.
The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association is a contractor to the Beef Checkoff. The Beef Checkoff is administered by the Cattlemen’s Beef Board, with oversight provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.