Target said Friday that the number of customers affected by the data breach at its U.S. stores late last year is 70 million. The Minneapolis-based retailer originally reported that the debit and credit card information of 40 million customers had been compromised. Target also said that more than just payment card information was taken during the incident that occurred at the height of the holiday shopping season, between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15.
“This theft is not a new breach, but was uncovered as part of the ongoing investigation. At this time, the investigation has determined that the stolen information includes names, mailing addresses, phone numbers or email addresses for up to 70 million individuals,” the company said in an update posted to its website.
“Much of this data is partial in nature, but in cases where Target has an email address, the company will attempt to contact affected guests. This communication will be informational, including tips to guard against consumer scams. Target will not ask those guests to provide any personal information as part of that communication.”
Target Chairman, President and CEO Gregg Steinhafel said, “I know that it is frustrating for our guests to learn that this information was taken and we are truly sorry they are having to endure this. I also want our guests to know that understanding and sharing the facts related to this incident is important to me and the entire Target team.”
Company closing eight stores across U.S.
Target also said today that it plans to close a handful of stores across the U.S. later this year. The stores expected to shutter May 3 due to “financial performance,” according to the company, include those in West Dundee, Ill.; Las Vegas; North Las Vegas; Duluth, Ga.; Memphis, Tenn.; Orange Park, Fla.; Middletown, Ohio; and Trotwood, Ohio.
Eligible team members at the stores will be offered an opportunity to transfer to a similar position at a nearby Target location, the company said.