A new Whole Foods Market opened in Malibu, California, on Wednesday, June 12.
Located in The Park at Cross Creek at 23401 Civic Center Way, the new 25,000-s.f. store offers a wide selection of locally sourced options, grab-and-go prepared foods and natural and organic grocery items, according to the Austin, Texas-based grocer. All food at Whole Foods Market must meet the company’s standards, which prohibit hydrogenated fats, high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.
The Malibu store marks Whole Foods Market’s 34th store in the greater Los Angeles area.
“We are thrilled to welcome the Malibu community to their new Whole Foods Market,” said Amy La Boube, store team leader. “With a focus on local product offerings, organic options and the freshest, highest quality food, we’ve worked hard to create a store that our neighbors will love.”
Special features of the store include:
• Produce department with seasonal fruits and vegetables, including selections from nearly 50 regional growers;
• Bakery department offering in-house-made cakes, ice cream cakes, pastries, tarts and chia parfaits, including items for vegan, gluten-free and other special diets; it also features selections from local bakeries such as Boulangerie de Paris, Rockenwagner Bakery and Perfectly Sweet;
• Full-service butcher department featuring in-house made sausages and chicken and beef from local suppliers, including Mary’s Chicken, Hearst Ranch and Tribali Foods;
• Seafood department with a variety of options from local suppliers including Wild King salmon, halibut, rock fish, mussels and oysters, as well as unique offerings such as in-house made salmon and shrimp burgers;
• Prepared foods section with a wide selection of hot and cold food bars featuring a variety of organic options; includes a salad bar, soup wells, rotisserie chickens, charcuterie case, sandwich and pizza stations, Kikka sushi, and ready-made meals including organic meal kits from Hak’s;
• Specialty foods section featuring more than 200 local suppliers, including cheeses from Cowgirl Creamery, spirits from Mulholland Spirits and beer from Ballast Point;
• An in-store Certified Cheese Professional, certified by the American Cheese Society;
• Beauty and body care department featuring more than 25 local suppliers such as Vive Organic and Laki Naturals, as well as products exclusive to Whole Foods Market Malibu, such as new designs from hydration brand MIIR and Enlighten Candles Arizona;
• Expansive selection of beer and wine from local producers; and
• Nékter Juice Bar, in-store juice and coffee bar offering freshly made, clean and nutrient-rich açai bowls, superfood smoothies, fresh and cold-pressed juices, plus coffee roasts from local partner, Coffee Manufactory.
To celebrate joining the community, 5 percent of the store’s net sales on June 27 will benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Malibu, an organization dedicated to providing academic, wellness and recreational programs for middle and high school students in the community.
Whole Foods Market Malibu will employ approximately 140 full and part-time team members. The store will be open 7 a.m.-10 p.m. daily.