Santa Cruz, California-based Steeped Coffee is working with Counter Culture Coffee to transform its specialty whole bean roasted coffees into single-serve steeped bags that are brewed similar to tea. Each coffee bag is nitro-sealed for freshness in packaging made from compostable and renewable materials.
“Steeped’s process produces a cup that is nearly indistinguishable from traditionally brewed coffee—and that really excites us,” says Counter Culture’s blog. “The goal is to have our amazing coffees reach new audiences and venues by highlighting simplicity, flexibility and convenience.”
Steeped Founder and CEO Josh Wilbur says, “We worked with Counter Culture for over six months of intensive weekly testing to scientifically validate every aspect of the Steeped Method, from freshness, quality, extraction, shelf life, and most importantly, consistent taste.”
When asked about the response so far, Counter Culture’s Katelin Resta says it’s been overwhelmingly positive. “People are really excited for a convenient option that doesn’t sacrifice quality. And we’ve been told this is a game-changer for fall camping trips.”
The partnership is the latest addition to Steeped’s roster of domestic and international partners.
“Counter Culture Coffee has a stellar reputation on the specialty coffee scene,” says Wilbur. “Their direct trade practices, ethics and transparent reporting mesh perfectly with our ethos, to focus on every detail from farm-to-cup and beyond.”
The company says its proprietary Steeped Brewing Method is Wilbur’s response to the more than 10 billion unrecyclable coffee pods that accumulate in landfills each year—enough to wrap around the planet more than 130 times if placed end-to-end.
Steeped has established more than 75 licensed partnerships with specialty coffee roasters across the country. Steeped Packs are available online and through roasters, premium grocery stores and premier hotels.
- 100 percent specialty coffee: coffee sourced directly from farmers.
- Full-immersion filter: non-GMO filters that regulate water-in and flavor-out.
- Packaging: made using plant-based renewable and compostable materials.
- Nitro seal: removes oxygen to help keep beans fresh.
- Micro batching: specialty coffee roasted locally in small batches.
- Pre-portioned: consistent Specialty Coffee Association-recommended water-to-coffee ratios.
- Precision ground: consistent water-cooled grinding to the micron.
- Just add water: single-serve with no machines required.
- Barista-approved: tested by multiple independent specialty coffee Q-graders for freshness, quality and taste.