During its annual 12 Days of Cheese, Whole Foods Market is highlighting an artisanal cheese each day from Dec. 12 through Dec. 23 and offering customers some of its cheeses at a discount, from artisans like 2019–20 World Cheese Award winner Rogue Creamery. Each of the selected cheeses will be 50 percent off for one day only during the 12-day period.
“Our team is thrilled for the return of 12 Days of Cheese because we have the opportunity to showcase some truly delicious, diverse and innovative cheeses at an incredible value,” said Cathy Strange, Whole Foods Market’s VP of specialty, product innovation and development. “The list of 12 cheeses that we’ve curated includes a few award-winning cheeses and a few exclusive cheeses you can only get at your local Whole Foods Market. Each one is unique and will make a delicious addition to any holiday occasion.”
The featured cheeses include:
- Dec. 12: Roth Pavino – Rich, earthy, medium-firm Alpine cheese with notes of sweet hazelnut. This cheese is exclusive to Whole Foods Market.
- Dec. 13: Istara P’tit Basque – Aged a minimum of 70 days, this sheep milk cheese has a mild, nutty flavor with a subtle, sweet finish.
- Dec. 14: Uplands Cheese Pleasant Ridge Reserve – A cow’s milk Alpine-style cheese modeled after favorites like Le Gruyère and Beaufort, with flavors ranging from milky to nutty and grassy. The Pleasant Ridge Reserve is America’s most awarded cheese.
- Dec. 15: Neal’s Yard Dairy Keen’s Cheddar – This cheese is dense yet creamy with complex flavors ranging from fruity to sweet butterscotch. Each wheel has been hand selected by our experts.
- Dec. 16: Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog – A goat’s milk soft-ripened American original with a ribbon of edible ash through the center. It has floral, herbaceous overtones, buttermilk and fresh cream flavors.
- Dec. 17: Emmi Cave Aged Le Gruyère – A firm, almost crumbly Alpine cheese. It is robust, deeply flavored, with tangy fruit notes and classic nuttiness.
- Dec. 18: Sweet Grass Dairy Thomasville Tomme – Raw cow’s milk, handcrafted cheese with a semi-firm texture. It has rich, earthy flavors with a finish of light salt, grass and tangy cream.
- Dec. 19: Mitica Cordobes – Made with Castellana and Merino sheep milk from Spain. Its buttery flavor is balanced by bright acidity and nutty undertones. This cheese is exclusive to Whole Foods Market.
- Dec. 20: Rogue Creamery Oregon Blue – Aged at least 90 days in Roquefort modeled caves, this organic cheese has briny, earthy flavors with notes of sweet cream and huckleberry. Rogue Creamery recently made history by producing the first American cheese ever to win top honors at the World Cheese Awards in Bergamo, Italy.
- Dec. 21: Klare Melk Truffle Gouda – Rich, flavorful, semi-firm cheese. Velvety notes of sweet cream and butter, laced with truffles.
- Dec. 22: Cellars at Jasper Hill Harbison with Prosecco – Soft-ripened, buttery, woodsy and sweet with balanced tones of mustard. A wash in Presto prosecco brings out bright citrus flavors. This cheese is exclusive to Whole Foods Market.
- Dec. 23: MonS Mary dans les Étoiles – Ash-coated geo-rind goat cheese. Creamy and grassy, finished with light citrus notes. This cheese is exclusive to Whole Foods Market.
These distinctive cheeses were chosen by Whole Foods Market’s global experts in collaboration with the company’s in-store Certified Cheese Professionals. This highly trained group of 386 team members has been certified by the American Cheese Society for their expertise in cheese storage and handling, nutrition, distribution, raw materials, the ripening process, the making process, types of cheeses, pairings and various specialty categories. More than 51 percent of Certified Cheese Professionals worldwide come from Whole Foods Market.
Shoppers are encouraged to stop by their local Whole Foods Markets to sample these new cheeses they may not have experienced before. Whole Foods Market’s team of in-store Certified Cheese Professionals and cheesemongers are available to answer any questions customers may have about the cheeses, from tips for building a cheese board to food and beverage pairing suggestions. Prime members also can enjoy an additional 10 percent off the discounted price of each day of cheese.
The first national certified organic grocer, Austin, Texas-based Whole Foods Market has more than 500 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.